Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Weekend of 11/9 - 11/11

We'll be coming to the mountains this weekend with our church group. Not sure how much fishing time I'll get. I keep telling my wife that fishing in the mountain streams is going to church. She mumbled something about me being an anti-social misfit or something along those lines.

Anyway, I'm going to get some fishing in!!! Since we'll be staying outside of Piegon Forge (yuch, why not Townsend) I'm thinking of fishing up the West Prong of the Little Piegon River. Going up past the visitor center and starting to pull off the quiet walkways down to the stream.

How's it been fishing through there recently? What flies should I bring (small adams, midges, or larger nymphs and stimulators?)

Do I need to go all the way up to Chimney's trailhead or is there fishing to be found in lower (read more wife friendly closer) elevations?

Since this is an adult church group retreat weekend, my boy will not be with me this time which kind of puts a damper on it for me as well. He's my fishing partner. I've never gone fishing in the Smokey's without him, this'll be the first.

Anyway, tips are always appreciated.

If you guys see a maroon Toyota Sienna Minivan with Kentucky Plates (and a dent in the rear hatch) it's me. Stop by and say hello. I'd like to put a face to the names.

Jeff
Old 11-06-2007, 01:25 PM

Good luck on your trip! If it was me, I'd be over on LR looking for big browns...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-06-2007, 01:31 PM

Any of the lower quiet walkways on the Pigeon would allow your wife to pretty much follow your progress along the trail that borders the stream. Access to the river is not that difficult and I have always had pretty good luck....the lower reaches do not have the elevation changes that require a lot of climbing over big bolders....another option would be to walk up past the cabins at elkmont....the trail follows the river and there are plenty of benches to rest on for you wife....
Old 11-06-2007, 01:40 PM

Thanks guys.

I'm not as concerned about the wife going along. I think Leslie will be out shopping with the other ladies in the group. I'm probably going to be on my own, it's just I need to go to places I can get to quickly so I don't waste what little time I'll have driving. I'd rather be fishing than driving.

Big browns over on LR does sound fun.

Darn, so much water and so little time.

Jeff
Old 11-06-2007, 02:05 PM

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=9311

Jeff,

I copied a recent thread that was in the loop about two weeks ago. It will help you in regards to going from Pigeon Forge to the WPLP. Remember coming in from Pigeon Forge use the Gatlinburg Bypass to get to the Park. I hope this helps.

John B
Old 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18inchbrown View Post
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=9311

Jeff,

I copied a recent thread that was in the loop about two weeks ago. It will help you in regards to going from Pigeon Forge to the WPLP. Remember coming in from Pigeon Forge use the Gatlinburg Bypass to get to the Park. I hope this helps.

John B

John,
Thanks for the link. I'll have to look in my box for the para adams. I know I have a few, may have to stop by LRO anyway to pick up some supplies. If that's the case, Elkmont or Treemont here I come. Otherwise, it's WPLP and I may make it up to Chimneys. I'm in pretty good shape for a 47 year old guy (run 3 miles 4 X per week).

Jeff
Old 11-06-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
I'll have to look in my box for the para adams. I know I have a few, may have to stop by LRO anyway to pick up some supplies.
The water is going to be fairly cool so don't forget to have plenty of nymphs along as well... I'm partial to Tellicos...also, this time of year a zebra midge (or other favorite midge patterns) might work well also...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-07-2007, 02:19 AM

also, in case you don't know, take wears valley rd from pigeon forge to townsend (as opposed to driving through the park). it'll save you a ton of time.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
also, in case you don't know, take wears valley rd from pigeon forge to townsend (as opposed to driving through the park). it'll save you a ton of time.
Thanks for the reminder. That's how I usually get there from that side. When coming to Townsend from Kentucky, I usually come through Maryville and bypass the other side entirely. Unfortunately, this time we're staying over there.

How it's looking now is on Saturday the group is going hiking. I am going to ask my wife to drop me off somewhere on the way to wherever they're going and to pick me up about 3 or 4 hours later. Solitude, and half a day on a single stretch of stream. I just cannot wait.

I have to find out where they're hiking so that I can determine where she needs to slow down, open the door and let me jump out of the van...

Jeff
Old 11-07-2007, 12:14 PM

I know what you mean about telling your wife that fishing is your church. I can't get mine to buy into that either