Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Question Fishing the North River

Anyone have any current information on water/ fishing conditions on the North and or Bald rivers? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:49 PM

Default 2weightfavorite are you out there?

WRN,

There were some posts back in October by a board member with the handle 2weightfavorite who is from Madisonville and fishes that area. His profile doesn't have an email address but he does have an AOL IM address of j0m4ma0sama. Maybe he'll hit this thread. There is also a guide from that area who frequents the board.

One other source of info would be Walter Babb who teaches fly tying and Beginners FF at LRO and who, I believe, is from that area. Can probably reach him through the shop.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 PM

Haven't been for awhile but it appears the water is awfully low right now in the Tellico area according to the waterflow data... Doesn't mean you can't catch fish but it probably won't be particularly easy either...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-06-2007, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

I went to check out the Tellico and the North Sunday a week ago and was shocked to see just how low the rivers are. As PA says you could definitely find fish there, but it wouldn't be easy. In addition to the low water, you've also got to put up with leaf clutter. There were some spots on the North where I couldn't even see what little water was there because of the leaf blanket.

Good luck...

Gerry
Old 11-06-2007, 11:00 PM

I was down by the tellico 2 weekends ago and the river was almost dry. The leaves on the trees are dropping by now and with all this wind lately, I'm sure the riverbed is choked with them.
You could email Tellico Angler direct to his website. www.tellicoangler.com
Old 11-07-2007, 12:37 AM

The North is actually fishing pretty well. I was up there Saturday and the trout readily took dry flies all day long. Water levels are low as mentioned in the other posts, but the water temp is down to around 48 degrees and the fish seem to be in pretty good condition.

The falling leaves are a bit of a pain right now but the stream is still very fishable. Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default the north

Hey there, I was up along the north on sunday, not to fish however. Was deer hunting, but how can you be that close to a great stream without at least walking it for a bit. The water was still low of course, but i did see plenty of fish darting for cover. Saw some decent rainbows in the backs of some of the pools, Id say they were soaking up the sunshine. Anyway, I saw no rises, and no deer for that matter. If you fish it, let us know how it treats you.

MDM
Old 11-07-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks, 2wf. Know anybody who's been up on the Bald lately?

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 PM

I was on Bald a little over a week ago. low clear water w/ alot of leaves like everywhere else. It fished pretty well, lots of rainbows mainly on small nymphs. they seemed to be a bit shy of the dry fly though. In my experiance Bald has been a moody creek. I havn't been up to holy flats since july but it usually fishes better up that way.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:01 PM

I am planning on going to the North, Bald, Tellico area this weekend November 17. Is it worth the trip or should I head to my favorite tailwater where I have been catching lunkers?