Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 PM

Default Smallmouth deformities

Over the past six months I've caught at least a dozen small mouth with tail deformites. it kinda looks like a wrinkle in the fleshy part of the tail. and the biggest ones with this problem are around a half pound. These have come out of the lower end of Fort Loudon about three coves up from the dam. Have any of you caught any messed up smallies and who do I need to contact to report this? I'll try to get a pic of the next one i catch for ya'll to see.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 AM

Default fish deformities

This may not be the same thing your seeing but I caught this smallie last year and emailed the pict to Jim Negus with TWRA. He said this is a common spinal deformity called Lordosis similiar to Scoliosis. caused by congenital birth defect. He also said they see this often in both smallmouth and sauger. I measured this fish at 18". It may have went 19+" if the spine had been straight.

Some more info from TWRA website

http://www.tnfish.org/FrequentlyAske...A.htm#deformed
Old 03-11-2008, 11:07 AM

Default Smallie deformity

TM,
Just FYI, but that condition is known as kyphosis. Lordosis arches back. I work as a Flight Paramedic (and FF Guide in my spare time) and have seen it in many patients. It is common for humans, but I have never seen it in fish until now. Good pic of it.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM

Default wrinkle

"wrinkle in the fleshy part of the tail" sounds like a wound from an encounter with a snapping turtle, or a river otter. If you take out enough flesh it leaves a pernament dent.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:46 PM

I guess wrinkle isn't the right word, its more of a crook. its pretty obviouse its a spinal injury/deformity. I'm going fishing today where I've caught most these things so if i catch one i'll give yall a visual. My best guess is that its a parasite that attacks the fish at a young age, but i'm no biologist.