Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-11-2007, 04:51 PM

Default GSMNP Jobs

I am thinking about what job I want when I get older, My dream is to work in the GSMNP and spend most of my time outside. I do not know what jobs are there for the Mountains. I would really like to work with the wildlife. I was wondering if anyone knew about anything that was out there so I can ponder on what I want to do. Maybe some extra time so i can go fishing too. haha. That would be nice.
Thanks
Giantfish
Old 11-12-2007, 01:51 AM

you could be a park ranger, of course. TWRA is also an option. if you want to work specifically with wildlife, you can be a biologist. you'll need to be serious about your education. other than that, I'm not too sure. there's a saying, if there's not a job that fits what you'd like to do, create it. you could start a business and teach survival courses. you could also become a fishing guide.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 AM

Giantfish,
A buddy of mine studied botany at UTK. He has had several offers to work in the Park, either counting trees or examining the contents of bear scat.
There are tons of possibilities: botanist, geologist, guide, park ranger, outfitter, federal wildlife officer, TWRA officer, open a store, run a campground, become a vetinarian, study forestry, wildlife management. You can work for the Park Service, the TWRA, the US Geological Survey, private companies like Trout Unlimited, National Wild Turkey Foundation, the list is pretty much endless. So keep your eyes open. A dozen years from now, you may find yourself very happy selling Orvis products in Wyoming, studying rock formations in the Adirondacks, collecting alligator eggs in the Everglades, or managing a deer herd in the Texas hill country. You may even opt for a job that itself doesn't deal with wildlife, but allows you to live where you want or provides you with the time, opportunity, and money to live the way you want.
I'm not sure how old you are, but as long as you work hard at whatever you are doing, everything will generally take care of itself. Give everything your best shot, and opportunities will present themselves.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:52 PM

Giantfish,

I am going to give you some advice that is realistic and yet sincere. The people that work in GSMNP do not make very much money. If you choose a profession that will put you into the outdoors and in particular the National Park system remember that. You hear people say all the time do what you love and love what you do. Well the truth of the matter is it all eventually becomes a job and we all get up and go to work. You might as well make as much money as you can so you can eventually do what you want.
I would advise any young man or woman to get into Chemical Engineering. There is going to be a shortage of ChemE's in the near future (the next 15 years). I would advise you to get into manufacturing as a Chemical Engineer. You will make the most money and be in the highest demand. The reason I say Chemical Engineering is because if you like science and math try Chemical Engineering. If it proves too tough then you can fall back into Biology, Chemistry of any of the Sciences then can help you get into the National Park system as a back-up.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:
You might as well make as much money as you can so you can eventually do what you want.
To some extent I agree with that statement. I do view my job as being that thing I have to do so that I can afford to do the things I like to do. I've yet found a good way to pay the bills and feed my son (boy sure can eat) by being a trout bum and guitar hack.

Now, don't cross the line and sell your soul for the job eitehr. Remember as you go through whatever is your chosen career, the job is something you have to do so that you can afford to do the things you like to do.

I work at a very large (Fortune 20) company and have seen far too many men and women sell out to the corporate ladder. They have sold their souls for the paycheck, responsibility, prestige, power, and position.

I'm a middle manager and let me tell you, the power can be seductive (you can sit in a meeting and say to a group of educated adults "I want you all to do XYZ" and they do it). But I always remember that at heart, I'm just a hillbilly kid who grew up in Kentucky.

I guess what I'm saying is never forget who you are and why you're doing what you do and you'll be fine.

It ain't all about money, but you do need enough to pay the bills. Like 18inchbrown said, sooner or later, it's all just another job regardless of what you're doing. Do somethikng you're proud of, be honest, hard working, and always be able to look yourself in the mirror and you'll be fine.

I tell people on my team that I live by a very simple code of ethics. I will never do something in business that I would be embarrassed to tell my dad. That's it.

So, if working outdoors is your thing, be the best at it you can be just realize you're not going to get rich. If you hobby and passion is the outdoors, you may want to consider finding a job that pays pretty good (Chem Engineer for example) and use your free time to volunteer for the parks or be a part of your local community parks and nature organization. There are lots of ways to be active and involve in the outdoors without making an occupation of it.

Follow your heart and listen to the little voice. Spend some quiet time to examine your life and your goals (you have goals right?).

The fact you've asked this question in a place where a bunch of "old guys" hang out tells me you may just have your head on straight.

Jeff
Old 11-13-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18inchbrown View Post
Giantfish,

I am going to give you some advice that is realistic and yet sincere. The people that work in GSMNP do not make very much money. If you choose a profession that will put you into the outdoors and in particular the National Park system remember that. You hear people say all the time do what you love and love what you do. Well the truth of the matter is it all eventually becomes a job and we all get up and go to work. You might as well make as much money as you can so you can eventually do what you want.
I would advise any young man or woman to get into Chemical Engineering. There is going to be a shortage of ChemE's in the near future (the next 15 years). I would advise you to get into manufacturing as a Chemical Engineer. You will make the most money and be in the highest demand. The reason I say Chemical Engineering is because if you like science and math try Chemical Engineering. If it proves too tough then you can fall back into Biology, Chemistry of any of the Sciences then can help you get into the National Park system as a back-up.

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you - just one word.
Ben: Yes sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Ben: Yes I am.
Mr. McGuire: 'Plastics.'
Old 11-13-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Chemical Engineering

Giantfish,
I second what 18inchbrown and Jeffnless said earlier, and they make some very good points. I am a chemical engineer and love my job (it helps to enjoy what you do). It isn't all plastics and petrochemical plants like most people think. I work for an air pollution control company in Knoxville and love it. I get to travel a lot for my job, and sometimes my work takes me to fishing venues. We had a job in Montana on the Big Horn river that I am trying to schedule a followup visit for. My job allows me to get off every Friday at noon, so I am able to hit the surrounding waters on a regular basis. I have to say that you can't go wrong with any kind of engineering. If you enjoy math and science, then chances are that you will enjoy engineering.

Travis
Old 11-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Giantfish,
I am currently a student at the University of Tennessee majoring in Wildlife and Fisheries Science with an interest in Fisheries Management. It is true what people have said, we will not be making alot of money, but who is truly the richest? I enjoy every minute of what I study and wouldnt ask for anything else. It is great to be around people that have the same passions in life as you, there are no closer groups than wildlifers! p.s GO VOLS!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 PM

OK I was staying out of the discussion but I think I am going to put my 2 cants in as dear old dad. Gaintfish as you know I grew up in a place where there was a lot of chemical factories. I was a summer research lab. tech for DUPont. I had the privelage of working with some of the finest Chemist in the country. Your Uncle and most of my extended family worked for the same company. I myself Was going for a double major in Botany and chemistry. But the epa was cut way back and the only jobs were low paying jobs. Then I decided to move to Tennessee and finish my schooling here. As you know I ended up getting married and then you came around and I never got a chance to finish. Now I am one of the design mangers for a very large Truss company. Thats a long ways from Botany and Chemistry. The ecomony back home is not good due to the chemical plants moving over seas, DU Pont is in a major fight with the Goverment over a chemical called C8. And are really close to pulling out and moving overseas. I guess what I am sying is that keep an open mind. You never know where you will end up. Maybe chemistry is an option, you love chemistry, but be prepared to move around to go to where the jobs are. But the runnung theme is to get a good base education in Math and science. If youcan do that there will be several options open. I don't make a lot of money but enough to send you and your sister to private school and take a few fishing trips each year. so like I said work hard and several options are open to you.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:19 PM

Thanks for all the advise, and ideas. I believe my main three would be Wildlife Management, biologist, or vet, a question about the vet, what animals do you work on? wild or like...i don't know. I went to a vet explore program last year and liked it, but my heart was in the mountains, not in the city. Also I wonder, what is wildlife management?

The whole money thing, I know I will not get much money, but money doesn't matter to me, because as long as you have enough and living a happy life, you should be fine. If you get up in the morning and groan about your work, but keep telling yourself "it pays well" you don't need that job. If you wake up excited and ready for work everyday, then the money doesn't matter, it's the job and how you feel. Now I do want enough to live on and pay the bills, but as long as my family is happy money doesn't matter, it can make the greed come out of people, and soon, the only thing that matters is the money. I want to enjoy nature earths beauty, and not fall into the greed and power of the rich. So mainly, yes I do want a good pay, as long as I enjoy myself.

Survival classes......hmmmmm? A i know, if I have a good chunk of spare time, I could teach survival classes for others. or make a video or something? I don't know.

Thanks
Giantfish