Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-11-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Greenbriar

Hi all,
I just got home from a weekend in the Smokies. As mentioned in an earlier thread, my wife and I were down with our church Bible study group for the weekend. Mainly "couples" time and some hiking with friends, but I did manage to get one day's fishing in. We were staying about 4 or 5 miles outside of Piegon Forge off of Upper Middle Creek Road.

The closest stream I could find was Greenbriar. I had never fished that side of the park before and was impressed. Greenbriar (I believe that's Middle Fork of Little Pigeon River) was a very pretty stream. Water seemed low due to the drought, but it was flowing and nice.

I went on up past the ranger station about half way to the picnic area and fished a fairly large pool and then some pocket water up through some riffles.

I tried several nymph patterns and only got one taker. I noticed small whiteish flies zinging around but didn't see any trout rising. I decided since nymphs were not doing anything, I would try dry flies.

I tied on a small #20 white fly that I'm pretty sure is a PMD immitation. That seemed to be the ticket. I caught 7 smallish rainbows. The largest was about 6" and the rest were in the 3-5" range.

It was after 3:00 pm when I got to the stream and started running out of daylight a little after 5:00pm. I was going to drive back toward the main road and maybe fish a little down there before going back to the chalet.

That's when I realized the keys were inside my locked van. Thank God I was able to get two bars reception on my cell phone. I called my wife back at the chalet. After much laughter at my expense, she agreed to come and rescue me. Unfortunately, the others were out in town shopping.

To make a long story short, she was able to reach them and one of the other couples had left their car keys in a jacket in the chalet so my wife was able to borrow their car and come resuce me. I had a rather long and somewhat cold wait for her to arrive. It was almost pitch black when she got there and I believe I was the only human being up that road. At one point, I heard some sticks snapping and thought for sure a bear was going to come out of the woods. The source of the snapping sticks was one very large squirrel.

I'm not scared of bears, but I have a healty respect for any of God's creatures that could kill me if he choose to do so. For about 20 seconds, my heart beat a little faster.

Any of you all ever fish Greenbriar? I hear a lot about Cosby and Little River and West Prong of Pigeon River, but I don't hear much about Greenbriar in these parts.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2007, 10:00 PM

It's closed waters, beware of Rangers. Just kidding, We fish it regularly, me and my friends but it's getting too cold to fool with in the winter. I mainly spend time way up, about four miles from where you were today. Glad you find a gem.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennswede View Post
It's closed waters, beware of Rangers. Just kidding, We fish it regularly, me and my friends but it's getting too cold to fool with in the winter. I mainly spend time way up, about four miles from where you were today. Glad you find a gem.
Thanks. I wanted to go up farther but it was late. Given that I locked my keys in the car, I'm glad I didn't go any farther up or I would have had a long walk back to somewhere to get phone reception

Next spring, I want to go up to the Ramsey trailhead and see what the water looks like up there.

It was a very beautiful stretch of water. At one point I just sat on a rock out in the middle of the stream for about 15 minutes or so and listened to the water and the wind blowing through the trees, and watching whatever those little whiteish flies were dancing around.

I'm not a bug expert and have no idea what they were but there were enough of them flying around to be amazed at watching them. I wouldn't call it a major hatch, but at any given time, I could see 25 or so flying around.

I don't know a BWO from a caddis, I just found something in my box that was about the same size and color. Saturday, it worked!

Most of my fishing in the Smokeys has been on the Little River (Elkmont and Treemont) and the WPLP up by Chimneys Picnic area and on up Newfound Gap road. I had never been out 321 before.

Thanks for the tip on the "closed water". (wink wink). I'll do my best to keep it quiet.

Jeff
Old 11-11-2007, 11:07 PM

Terrible fishing over there...you probably don't want to waste your time again...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Greenbriar

I tried Greenbriar weekend before last and got nothing but tiny fish I am assuming were juvenille brook trout. Not a whole lot of water and I only saw 2 other people fishing the whole day.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 AM

Next time you can get back over there and if there is a little more water in the mountains try Porter's Creek. Go up to the parking area and walk back down to the bridge to Ramsey's Cascade.....some nice pocket water and trout are generally looking up.....
Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
Next time you can get back over there and if there is a little more water in the mountains try Porter's Creek. Go up to the parking area and walk back down to the bridge to Ramsey's Cascade.....some nice pocket water and trout are generally looking up.....

Thanks. From my map, it looks like Porters creek runs in from the right as you're heading up to Ramsey's trailhead. I guess that's past the picnic area. I only made it up the road as far as the picnic area due to very limited time. I wanted to spend more time in the water than in the car

It was a very pretty area and I do want to try it again in the spring. My son and I are kicking around the idea of hitting the area in April during his spring break.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 AM

Jeff...your map reading is right on....the Ramsey trail crosses the bridge to the left and Porter's Creek heads off to the right....this junction is up beyond the picnic area(this used to be a full campground when I was younger in the late 60s)....I caught my first trout on a fly on Porter's Creek and my son's name is Porter....family history and not because of the fish....have caught rainbows in the lower section to 13"....upper reaches above the parking area have some brook trout.....if you take the hike up Ramsey C trail to the old turn around area you will get into water that has nothing but brookies in it...I would not recommend fishing too high above the foot bridge unless you are a glutton for punishment...the gorge up there is steep sided with huge bolders...to get out is a hand over foot effort that is bushwhaking at its finest...this side of the mountain is really rugged in the upper reaches....enjoy exploring.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:09 AM

Rog1,
Thanks,
I'm saving your post for when we go back in the spring.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2007, 03:28 PM

Thumbs up

Rog1
I was reading your info and I am coming to that area Friday threw next week. Do you think it would good fishing in the Greenbriar area? I will be fishing for 3 days for sure so I was hoping to find some good places to try. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Wyatt
New boy on the board