Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Cosby Creek

I heard that Cosby Creek is open now. Anyone been fishing there? If so, anygood? Suggestions for where to hike?
-Aaron
Old 11-16-2007, 04:52 PM

Aaron

I fished Cosby creek last month and the water was very very low. The fishing was very hard plus I was using barbless hooks to put less strain on the fish. I did not catch any but I lost 2 before I could bring them to hand. The rain we had should help the creek. I have fished from the park turn in up to the camp ground. At the camp grounds and above you can get into some brookies. I have not fished above the camp grounds yet. If you go please post a report I am going to be able to fish it on wed. Good luck.

The section that runs out of the park and trought cosby is stocked in the spring.

P.S. I did not know that they closed Cosby Creek. Where did you hear that from?
Below are a couple pictures of the creek from June

Patrick
Old 11-16-2007, 05:10 PM

I read that a section of it was opened this year that had been closed. I have done alot of backpacking through there but never fished. Sounds like I might have a better time somewhere else in the park that might be close to there? Any suggestions? Nice pics by the way!
-Aaron
Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 PM

Actually, almost all streams in the park were opened to fishing, including many miles of previously closed streams. Cosby is a wonderful stream, at least to me; so much so, I've bought property in the area. It is a small stream, so it is susceptible to a lack of rainfall; we were up there last month, and we decided not to fish it, because it was apparent the fish were going to be crowded into isolated pools. However, I did fish it back in August, right at the height of the heat...I only fished it because I knew the area had received a lot of rain the day before. I had a wonderful time, and caught between 20-30, mostly brookies, but with a few bows mixed in. For the most part, from the parking area near the campground on up is brookie territory. The stream goes quite a ways up the mountain, and I've only explored a small part of it so far. Don't expect any monsters, but if you want to get some brookies without having to hike very far, Cosby is it.

I don't know how well it fishes in the cooler times of the year; I suspect that it's a better spring/summer stream, as it tends to run on the cold side anyway.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:06 PM

Just how long a creek is Cosby? Would there be a good chance of finding fish along its entire length? I notice there are a few cabins that are right on the creek that one can rent, but there is no mention about the area being good for trout fishing.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Cosby Creek

Good afternoon Duggie,
Cosby Creek is close to 15 miles long, and it does have fish along it's entire length. It has natives along the upper and mid parts of it's length and it is stocked through it's mid and lower sections. It is one of the Park streams that may not fish well in the upper sections during the winter, but the sections that are below the Park boundry may fish well during the colder months. Give it a try, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 AM

I am right that the creek runs down through town?, and it would be fine to fish down past the park?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:40 AM

Check to see about access rights, etc...I think all of it runs on private property outside of the park.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:15 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell View Post
Good afternoon Duggie,
Cosby Creek is close to 15 miles long, and it does have fish along it's entire length. It has natives along the upper and mid parts of it's length and it is stocked through it's mid and lower sections. It is one of the Park streams that may not fish well in the upper sections during the winter, but the sections that are below the Park boundry may fish well during the colder months. Give it a try, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
I got to fish the a portion of the creek above the campground Satuday. I thought I had fished in the Brookies area, but a park ranger got me wandering afterward. He said I needed to have gone up a half mile or so at/past the water tank/tower. Problem is, based on the SM Trails map, Low Gap Trail and the creek get a lot of distance between each other as you hike up. Where exactly is this tower/tank? How many times does Low Gap Trail cross the creek?

JoeFred
Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 AM

JoeFred:

The trail situation there at Cosby is a bit confusing. You can pick up Low Gap trail in 2 places...you can get on it behind the amphitheatre...if you go that way, it crosses it a couple of times, and then goes up the left side of the stream (going uphill). The quicker way to get up there is to hike up through the campground, where you pick up the other end of Low Gap...from there, it is a short hike past the water tower to the stream, where it crosses it again. We fished up there today, and caught about 30.

As for having to go that high...you really don't have to. I've done very well right off the nature trail. Today, on our way out, we stopped to fish a section of the stream a good 2 miles below the campground...I thought all that would be there would be rainbows, but we caught brookies there. To make matters even more confusing, I caught a few nice rainbows up high, where you would think there would be nothing but specs. So, it looks like they're coexisting quite nicely.