Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-21-2007, 07:54 PM

Post What Reel

Just received a Sage 3wt rod and would like to hear some suggestions for what reels should be considered. The rod is a medium action if this makes any difference. Have been using a 5wt and this is a new experience for me.
Thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 PM

I have a Sage SLT 3wt 7'6" length and the Orvis BBS II reel (battenkill bar stock) is a near perfect match for the rod.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 PM

well depends on how much money you have to spend. Basically any reel fished with in the smokies is nothing more then a line holder and it would not matter much if you spent $100 or $500 cause it is going to do about the same thing.
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 11-21-2007, 08:55 PM

Look at LRO's online catalog. I really like the way they've done this. Click on reels, you can then specify the wt reels you want to look at, then look at just 3wt reels within dollar ranges. Saves a lot of flipping back and forth like some other online catalogs.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:04 AM

Default congrats on the new rod

I agree with Jeff.....the Orvis BBSII is a reel whose advantages far outreach the meager $$$ you pay for it. Other than that, if there is a reel that you have longed for, you may want to take your new rod to LRO and try that reel on you new rod to get an idea on balance.

Congrats on the new Sage!!! I am expecting to get a new rod this Jan when I take another fly tying class at LRO. I am torn between Sage and the 7'6" 3wt Trout Bum...guess I have a little over a month to decide....

buckeyetrouter
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 11-22-2007, 09:09 AM

Orvis is coming out with a BBS I if you can wait, or if you have $300 to drop, the Hardy Marksman is a sweet lil reel.

Grumpy
Old 11-22-2007, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up

I agree with everyone on this one. It just depends on how much you want spend. Everyone has there favorite reel. I like the Ross Rhythm 0. a sweet reel
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone
Wyatt
Old 11-22-2007, 03:23 PM

The BBS I will be sweet. Orvis says it will be available in January for $89. But, some of their January delivery gear is already in the shops. We just got the new Clearwater Rods in and they were supposed to be delivered in January. And I agree, you don't need to spend a ton of money to get a good reel for trout fishing in the Smokies. The BBS I weighs a mere 3.2 oz. and has a diameter of 2.5". It might be too light for your rod or it may be perfect. For the money, I like the Orvis BBS. Go to a fly shop with your rod and try different reels on it. See how it feels to you.

Old Tom, it's good to hear that you like the Online Catalog. A lot of thought went into it and we have spent a huge amount of time surfing through our competitors sites. We want it to be idiot proof so I can find stuff. Any comments, good or bad would be valuable information for us. One of our customers said the search was too slow. We bought a plug-in that took care of that for a small price.

Thanks.

Byron
Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 AM

If i'm not mistaken, the BBS I will come in a new light gold color as well, the pics look good, hopefully, the reel will.
Byron, the new Helios are out of this world, especially the 8 weight, get ready to send some backing out with that one & that's in the wind
They have done a great job on the Clearwaters as well.

Grumpy
Old 11-23-2007, 04:34 PM

Hi Grumpy,

I totally missed the gold finish. I bet you are right. Orvis is adding gold to the mid arbor. I agree, the Helios Rods are unbelievable. I think we have already sold a couple. My favorite was the 8 weight too. The Clearwater rods just came in. It's a nice rod with a cool tube for $199. I'm sure you guys are busy today. Tell all the gang at Cumberland Transit hello from me.

Byron