Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Needing some help please

My friend and I have recently began fishing the smokies. We fished Tremont last weekend and didn't have much luck. Does any one have any hints where to start. I am new to fly fishing for trout and have no idea where to start. Any help is welcome.

thanks,

Andy
Old 11-22-2007, 08:47 AM

hey Andy......welcome to the sport/addiction/escape that is fly fishing.....very quick and short, you should start at the pic in the header above. The folks at LRO can give you the lastest info on what is working and where it is working, what streams are quiet and what streams are active, dries or nymphs (or nymphs below an attractor)......the folks there are fly fisherpersons (how'd you like that Paula?) and anyone of them can and will give advice. You will get tons of great info right here on the board from a great group of folks and you could go with that, but I would still recommend a quick stop at LRO (the coffee is good and fellowship is top shelf)...just my humble opinion.....

buckeyetrouter
Happy Thanksgiving to all and may God Bless
Jeremiah 29:13
Old 11-22-2007, 01:57 PM

Also, don't forget to remember that the months of Nov thru February is not exactly prime time. When water temps go down so does the fishing. I don't want to sound negative but that's reality. Prime fishing is April thru October. I know you can still catch fish in the off season but the expectations need to be adjusted.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:22 PM

seeing you live in norris, I'd recommend you give the clinch a try right now. as Hans stated, the fishing in the smokies is not prime right now, but you can catch fish. I don't have any recommendations other than keep plugging away at it. go to LRO and ask them what flies they've heard have been working and start from there. unfortunately, there's no magic stream up there that somebody's not telling you about (well, there's at least not one that I know of). I'd say tremont is probably as good a choice as anywhere. you also may want to try the little river. If you're not having luck on those, try somewhere else, maybe abrams creek. most of all, read this, as these basics are essential to your success:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/pag...helpreport.htm

good luck, and let us know how you do.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:50 PM

Default Thanks

Thank you very much for the info. I'll drop in LRO this weekend. Thanks for the quick replys.

Andy
Old 11-23-2007, 08:50 AM

Hello Andy,

I would recommend that you purchase one of the several books that have been written on trout fishing in the GSMNP and possibly a National Geographics Trails Illustrated map of the Park if you are serious about learning more about the streams of the Smokies. Two of the most popular books are: Don Kirk's, Fly-Fishing Guide to the Great Smoky Mountains. I enjoy using these books and the map as a way to find new waters in the Park, of course a little sweat is required to find some of the best waters, but if you like solitude in a beautiful environment then your efforts will be rewarded.

Good luck,

Neal