Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-24-2007, 08:17 AM

Default Lower Abrams

Had some time to kill yesterday so I thought I would fish/explore lower Abrams. The good news is that I figured out that if I cut over Chilhowee at Top of the World it's only 15 miles from my house in Maryville. That bad news is that I hiked over the ridge in to Little Bottoms and fished downstream back to the campground and I only confirmed what most of you already knew - the fishing really is not very good in that section. I did see a couple of trout by getting up high and peering down into the deep pools. (Polarized lenses were an awesome invention.) But several hours of nymph dippin' brought nothing to the net.

It was a beautiful crisp day and I had the stream all to myself. I even got snowed on a bit, but the highlight of my trip was finding my first arrowhead in a shallow eddy on the edge of a deep pool. It made me sit down and think about who made it and the circumstances under which it was lost. It was a darn cool feeling - like I had a connection with something and someone far in the past. It made the trip. I love this park.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:25 AM

adirondack46r, glad you enjoyed the trip. The solitude even in cold weather, makes the park more enjoyable. Hopefully you remembered to leave the arrowhead where you found it.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:26 PM

busted! honestly, if i found an arrowhead in the park, I'd be so excited, I'd completely forget I wasn't supposed to take it. thanks for reminding.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:13 PM

Busted? I guess. I'll return it the next time I'm there. So where can I read about the rules and regulations for what can and cannot leave the park with you?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:42 PM

adirondack46r, don't take it personal. Nothing related to Native American artifacts/relics may be removed from public lands, especially those found in the park systems. In addition, no plant life, rocks/stones and a myriad of other restrictions are included in the park regulations. Even shed deer antlers must be left where they are. Remember to tread lightly. There is a complete listing of restrictions included with the regulations you can read online or at the park office. Spending time during my childhood in the park, my dad made a game of our visits and explained the trash we picked up was part of our souvenirs. It must have stuck because I still pickup those souvenirs on each visit.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

really about the only thing you can take out are berries and mushrooms for personal consumption....the exact amout is in the park compendium. however, when the berries ripen they attract the bears....so being in a bramble patch can get a little dicey.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:13 PM

What ever happened to "Finders Keepers"?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 PM

Brian, unfortunately, the concept of "finders, keepers" doesn't apply to public lands. This is especially true for Native American artifacts. Since my ancestry is Native American, I am particularly grateful that this area is specifically enforced.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:26 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytroutman View Post
adirondack46r, don't take it personal...
No problem, I didn't.