Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-24-2007, 10:33 PM

Default Dewey Lake Tailwaters

After watching the first play of Kentucky vs. Tennessee football game, I decided I should go fishing. Dewey tailwater is a small tailwater in Southeastern Kentucky. The Department of F & W stocked this water on 11/14/07 with 1,200 rainbow. I fished from the bank on Tuesday and caught about 25 to 30. I went back on Wednesday and took my waders. It was a sunny and nice day. I kept score. and after fishing for about four hours, I had brought 65 to hand. I took my son back on Friday, and he caught about 20. I helped him with casting and mending in hopes that he will get into the sport more. We had a good time, and he caught his first trout while it was snowing. Fishing today was fair. I returned home in time to watch the overtimes of today's game. I guess I will have to cheer the Big T on now. We were fishing a size 14 crackleback on the swing on 6x tippet. Sometimes you would get two or three in a row. Sure beats watching the Cats get declawed.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:43 AM

you gotta BELIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!

we will beat em' one day, DON'T know when that will be but someday. and as it looks basketball this year will be interesting.

TRUE blue loyality, right now its KENTUCKY and who ever will pound the --(add your own word here) -- out of florida and any team steve spurrless is coaching..

never have forgave that pounding we got at the hands of spurrmalarky and florida. one day, just one day..... he will eat that visor and "a SPANKING in the SWAMP" will happen....

i believe.....

but then again i still believe in the easter bunny too.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Sorry bout the Cats

Being a Vol fan and former player I'll have to say I was pretty happy with the game. I was there, my first trip to Commonwealth, and it was a great game. My wife is from KY so we went together and i spent the rest of the day trying to cheer her up.

Anyway I was curious as to where this tailwater is. My wife is from Harlan Co. and that is really the only area I am familiar with. I would appreciate any info. on the tailwater. That is an amazing amount of fish for one day. This would be much more fun than hanging with my in-laws the next time I am up that way.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Smile

AC,
Check out the Kentucky Department of F & W Resources site, fw.ky.gov/.
Click on fishing, scroll down to stockings. You will find the trout stocking schedule and the 2007 trout stream classification. This is very informative. Martin's Fork tailwater in Harlan County was stocked the same day as Dewey tailwater, but with only 600 trout. I hope this helps with the next visit and the in-laws.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:26 AM

AC,

where bouts in harlan co. my mother-n-law is from dayhoit.

my local fishing is in clear clear in bell co. it is the creek that empties into the lake that you go across at wasito winds golf course. it is on the way to harlan its right before you turn onto hwy 119. they put 1000 rainbows in last month. caught 36 in 2 days and an't been back. figured i would give awhile to spread out.

http://fw.ky.gov/pdf/pinemountain.pdf
Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 AM

Dalerio,
She is from Cumberland actually. So Bell Co. huh? I think she knows that area. We drive over Black Mountain from Big Stone Gap to get to her home. Could hwy 119 be the turn you take in Duffield? Thanks for the info. I am with you on Spurrier. I live in Johnson City, AKA his hometown, and just don't care for his stupid visor myself.

FLYFSN,
I will try that website. Have you tried Martin's Fork yourself? I think that would be very close to where we visit.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:59 PM

AC,

i thought you came up 25 from the cumberland gap tunnel. it would be 25E to hwy 119 to harlan. martins fork would be closer for you. i haven't fished the tailwater but i have been there, there is a beach for swiming. if you try it out let us know how it is.

what years did you play for UT?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 PM

25 is the easier way from Knoxville. We drive through Kingsport-GateCity, VA-Duffield, VA-Big Stone Gap, Va. I will try the tailwater next time I am up that way. I was there in 2000 and 01.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:59 PM

FLYFSN,

It was nice to meet you the other day at Dewey. By the way, thanks for the flies! I'm glad you had a chance to go back and fish over the weekend. I decided to spend that time chasing quail and grouse. Making a decision about whether to going fly fishing or bird hunting is a tough one...but, since it was snowing...haha...

I'll be home next Thursday for Christmas break. Maybe I'll see you on the water.

Grousegunner
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM

Grousegunner,
I plan on going back over to Dewey tomorrow. It is supposed to be 60 and sunny. Weather permitting, maybe we can get together and fish the Red River Gorge while you are on Christmas break. Send me an e-mail. I did not get your phone number. cuttandrun@hotmail.com

Paul