Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Fishing/camping around Harmon Den

Can anyone give me some advice on the places to camp/fish around Harmon Den or Big Creek, NC. I'm heading up there this weekend with a couple of buddies and I'm pretty sure that camping season is over in the park, but didn't know if there were some good places outside the park to post up for a couple of nights. Thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:23 PM

Default Harmon Den

Hello Andrew,
The Round Mountain Campground (formerly Rattlesnake Branch) campground was closed about 2 weeks ago when I was up there. There may be several places along Cold Springs Creek, in the Harmon Den Wildlife Refuge, that you can camp or put up a tarp for overnight camping. I don't know how experienced you are with that area, so I'll just throw this out. That is a very high altitude area with severe weather changes. It also has open Bear Hunting seasons as well, with a lot of "GOOD OL BOYS" who really whoop it up back there. If you're planning on fishing Trail Fork, be absolutely sure that you have someone with you. That is the roughest and most isolated stream that I have ever been on. It is not for beginners and it is extremely dangerous at this time of the year. My advise would be to fish the lower sections of any of the streams that you might want to give a try.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:39 PM

Thumbs up Big Creek

On Big Creek go up the trail around one mile to where the trail gets real close to the water and start fishing at this point. I have had considerable catching luck of bows in this area. If the H2O is decent you may be blessed. Try a 20 BWO and some smaller BHHE,s. Keep your eyes open and good luck.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. We've changed our plans, mainly due to camping restrictions, and have decided to head up to the Tellico instead. You may have seen my new thread from this morning scrounging for more advice . Thanks again!
Old 12-02-2007, 02:32 PM

The weather, terrain, and locals in the "Hurricane" can be a little rough at times. Look at what was going on over there the last time I was up there.

http://www.maniacworld.com/squirrel-vs-penguin.htm
Old 12-02-2007, 02:43 PM

Now that was too funny...I guess the chickens were members of the local "Ku Klucks Klan".
Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 PM

I need to make it up there sometime, hugh. Maybe one day when it gets warmer we can meet up there for a trip.

Craig
Old 12-02-2007, 09:30 PM

You gotta love that stretch of I-40 - that road to Hurricane Creek is one of the few direct access exits on the entire interstate system - right on the road! Last week, I had to swerve pretty abruptly to avoid hitting someone who was turning onto that road. I guess there was no alternative, given the terrain.