Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 AM

Default Tellico River and Tributaries

Thanks to all for the advice on my previous post, but plans for this weekend have changed a bit. We've decided to head up to the Tellico and maybe give it a try, as well as the Bald and North Rivers. Does anyone have general advice as to some good spots to hit/flies to use? I understand that the Tellico is a delayed harvest river this time of year, but not sure about the Bald and North. Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:36 AM

I fished up there a couple weeks ago. Water was real real low, like everywhere. I did o.k. Caught a couple. Nothing to write home about.

p.m. me if you need any more info.

Scott
Old 11-27-2007, 01:37 PM

Default North and Bald

The North and Bald are designated as Wild Trout streams, so they're not Delayed Harvest, not stocked.

sb
Old 11-27-2007, 05:13 PM

I appreciate the advice, Steve and Scott. I tried to send you a p.m, Scott, but I got a message that the function was disabled for some reason, so I couldn't do it. I figured the water would probably be low, but was maybe hoping for a little rain between now and this weekend. Prospects of that are not looking too good at this point, however. What flies were working for you when you were there? Were you on the Tellico, Bald, or North? Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM

I fished the Tellico River just below North River a few weeks ago. Had a pretty good day. Most fish were caught on a size 18 pheasant tail dropped below an EHC. A few were caught on the EHC. I really don't know what I'm doing , I just like doing it. Sometimes I get lucky and catch something. I was up there hunting Thanksgiving Day. All the rivers were up from what they have been, however it was just after a heavy rain. I don't know what they were like after they recessed. Bald River Falls actually looked like a falls again and not the trickle that it was a few weeks ago.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Great Line and Tellico Water Flow Readings

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
I really don't know what I'm doing, I just like doing it.
Buzz that's a great line! I'm going to have to borrow that one from you. It applies to so many situations.

I think you have struck upon something though, as well. While there are tons of books on flyfishing and the proper techniques, methods, etc., in the end; if you enjoy what you are doing and seem to be catching fish, who cares if its the perfect cast or proper technique? I think sometimes people are so worried about doing things the "right" way, they never even try it "any" way...

Keep up the good work! Keep having fun!

As far as the Tellico is concerned, here is a site that tracks the flow data for the Tellico:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tn/nwis/uv...te_no=03518500

Right now, it actually looks much better than it has for most of the year. The rain over the last week and a half has been a good start. Good Luck!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:25 AM

The recent rain has probably helped the fishing.

When I was there, I caught some on a parachute adams and a few on small tellico nymph droppers.

Scott
Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 PM

Thanks again for the advice guys, I really do appreciate it. I'm trying not to be too optimistic at this point, but it's good to know that some fish are being caught up there.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:01 PM

On the tribs you can never go wrong with the PA in light colors 16-20 small droppers and small dark streamers olive/brown if theres enough water. If your on North start at campsite 4 and fish up into the gorge or directly above #9, this water is skinny but theres some surprisingly nice bows up there.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 PM

Andrew,

Stealth is likely going to be more important than fly selection up there, especially on the North and the Bald. Any of the dry/dropper combos mentioned by the other posters should produce fish as long as you stay low and wade carefully. I rarely find the wild trout in the North and Bald to be very selective, but they will spook easily in that low, clear water.

As for the DH on the Tellico, try swinging woolly buggers through pretty much any deep run or pool above Turkey Creek.

Hope this helps.

Ty