Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 AM

Default Helios rods.

Anyone had a chance to cast these? I think byron mentioned them in a previous fishing report about how good they were. I'm not a big fan of orvis, but these rods just look incredible. I'm really tempted but i already have too many rods and that price tag will definitely induce some sticker shock. Just wondered if anyone on here had some experience with it. Thanks.

Craig
Old 11-28-2007, 09:19 AM

go ahead & sell a few rods, the Helios will be my go to rod if they ever get a 4 weight to me, the T3 & Zero G will probably start collecting dust
The first thing everyone comments on, WEIGHT, or lack thereof & they cast with ease, track well & i haven't felt any rod jump with any that i've tried.
Did i mention the 8'4 3 weight, it would probably doube nicely as a small stream & tailwater rod, thank goodness i have a corner full of small stream rods or i'd be wanting it as well. Then there's the 8 weight that took all the fly line & a significant amount of backing with just a lil dbl haul & that was with me casting it The 9 & 10 weights will pick 70-80 foot of line up & put it right back wherever you want it & they feel like a lot of folks 5 & 6 weights.
Yeh, every now & then Orvis does something right with a rod, they've really improved over the last 10 years IMO, not that they had some bad ones in the past(they did IMO), yep, i'll be glad when that 4 weight shows up

Grumpy
Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 AM

That's what i was looking at, the 9' 4wt. I really don't need another rod, but i do have a nice little gap in my collection of a long 4wt....... Since you've played around with it, in your opinion, is it worthy of all the hype that it has been getting?

Craig
Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 AM

YES, it kills me that i'm willing to fork out the bucks like that for a graphite rod, bamboo, i can justify, but plastic
I bought one of the Powell Tiborons years ago, i think it originally sold for $725, yep, i've gotten that much use out of it & don't regret the purchase, i'll regret it if it ever breaks, they changed them since then & i think they cut the price in half.
Heck, i spend roughly $400 a month driving back/forth to work, the only thing showing is lot's of miles on the odometer
$755 is a big chunk of change, the memories it will bring are priceless I don't go out buying the latest & greatest every year like the manufacturers would hope, when i find something i like, somehow or another, i'm gonna have it, that usually results in missing lunch & losing a few pounds to do so
Orvis has already said i may not see the rod til after the first of the year, i'll probably be a few pounds lighter by then
It seems as if Orvis has done their homework on these rods, there were 6 of us casting them the day the rep showed up, everyone of us left shaking our heads, that may have been partly due to the cost, to me, it was the rod, trying to figure out how i'm going to sneak it into the house that carbon fiber rod tube sticks out like a sore thumb

Grumpy
Old 11-28-2007, 06:42 PM

I agree with everything Grumpy says except I've never known him to be Grumpy. We have some of these new rods in the shop and they are sweet. Orvis has hit a home run. We've already sold one for sure and maybe two of them, I'm not positive. Dealers could only get a limited selection for the Fall with the others coming in January and February. They will sell well at that price. I know that's hard to believe.

Byron
Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 AM

Good golly I wish you guys would just shut up!

Comments like "better than the T3 and ZeroG"

"Casts into the backing with just a lil double haul"

and

"we've only got a few of them and might not be more until spring"

are all comments that don't work well for my marriage, or my winter time guide income!

Man! I want one....or two. Actually I want an 8wt and a 5wt. Maybe Santa is listening. ahhhhh........
Old 11-29-2007, 07:40 AM

Do you know when you will be getting in the 9' 4wt rods? The very beginning of january or the latter part? That one is calling my name big time.

Craig
Old 11-29-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
are all comments that don't work well for my marriage, or my winter time guide income!

Prices like that don't work well anytime of year on a guide's income like Byron, folks will buy them, they're sending out the limited edition series, might oughta contact Byron & see what cool #'s he's getting, if it's your lucky #, it's meant to be
Rocky, i've talked to a few folks that's had a blast with ya on the Cumbie!

Grumpy
Old 11-29-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Helios Available

Craig,

I just called Orvis....and to my suprise...they said that they have the 9' 4wt available.

I've gotten to cast the 8'6" 3wt, 4wt, and 5wt, the 9' 5wt, the 9' 8wt, 9wt, and 10wt. They are ALL incredible casting rods. Very light, pretty fast, but not broomsticky. They are also great looking rods.

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/sto...4&cat=0&page=1

If you want one just let me know!

Thanks!

Daniel
Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Action

What is the action like on the Helios 9' 4 weight? How does it compare to the action on the Scott G series, Sage Light Line, Sage SP. How about the Winston LT? Is it more of a medium action or fast action?

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau