Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-07-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Sunglasses

Im in the market for new polarized sunglasses. Any suggestions? Which brands are the best and is it really worth the money to buy top of the line sunglasses? Is there a point where functionality meets value?
Old 12-07-2007, 07:14 AM

This always start's an argument, what are your eyes worth to you? Mine mean a lot to me, i've always bought the best i could afford.
I have a pair of CostadelMar 580 copper lenses that i love & a pair of Action Optics Photochrominic Copper, both are glass lenses & both offer superb vision into the depths of the places i like to visit, not to mention driving as well.

Grumpy
Old 12-07-2007, 09:32 AM

I agree with Grumpy. When it comes to eyewear, I buy the best I can with the budget I have. But, I am the type of guy that takes great care of my tools. If you are the kind of guy that loses glasses regularly (like my fishing partner!) then you may want to buy a cheaper pair. I like the Action Optics Guide's Choice series. I have one in photochromatic copper and one in photochromatic amber, depending on light conditions.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-07-2007, 09:53 AM

Default Polarized glasses

I'm a bi-focal guy, so I get mine from the optometrist and pay with my flexible spending account.

Polarization is a must.

sb
Old 12-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Your sunglasses can be your most important equipment at times. I wear Action Optics Clearwater Copper. I was amazed at how my fish sighting changed when I first got them.

I recommend buying the best glasses your budget will allow. You won't be sorry.

Paula
Old 12-07-2007, 03:34 PM

thanks for the input, i will definatly look into your suggestions. This poses my next question. Which is the best lense color, or is that just personal preference.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Maui Jim makes a pair of glasses called "Offshore" designed for fishing. Everyone I have talked to about Maui Jim glasses has said nothing but great things about both quality of product and warranty coverage. I hope to see a pair in my Christmas stocking this year.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Lens color

I bought some Cocoons sunglasses at LRO that fit over my prescrption glasses that are amber. Daniel recommended these (another one of those "Walter Babb uses these same (fill in the blank)"). The amber lens really makes a huge difference. I have some darker clip-on polarized sunglasses but can't see nearly as well as with the amber. I was amazed at how much I was missing below the surface.

I still don't fish like Walter but I see a lot better.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 12-07-2007, 07:57 PM

It took me a while to invest in a good pair of sunglasses. Now I can't imagine fishing without them.

I have a pair of Costa Fathoms with amber lenses and a pair of Costa MP2s with green 580 lenses. The 580's are amazing.

Action Optics has some good polarized glasses too. I like the frame styles offered by Costa more, though.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:38 PM

I find that there is little difference in the quality of lenses offered by any of the high end manufacturers. Having worn most of them extensively on the water they all work. The key is to find a frame that fits you best and that is comfortable.

In terms of lens color I would definitely suggest amber/copper for all around use. They tend to enhance contrast and will work well in bright sun or partly cloudy. I also find yellow to be a great color in low light or on cloudy days.