Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Great Trip

I've been away for awhile, so the report isn't super current, but it is close. I went to the area the middle part of last month. Stayed in the park at Elkmont for part of the of the week by myself, then in a hotel in Waynesville with the derby city fly fishers. It was a great trip, all the people in the shop were great, the locals were great and the fishing was great. Fished the little river from the campground up and down the road, and another fork above where the road goes to gravel past the little learning center. Did best with the gray midges and a secret weapon, I brought a real nice brown up skating a soft hackle across his nose on the surface. I caught more fish on the 22ish gray midge dry, though, everywhere I went. Later in the week with the club we fished the N.C. side in the delayed harvest sections of Shelton-Laurel Creek, West fork of the Pigeon, and another stream I cant remember but it was a big rafting destination. Everyone in the group landed a ton of fish and many with good size. I pulled the bow in the picture under the iron bridge at the west fork on my 3 wt with 7x. I released the fish, got in my truck and drove back to Kentucky. What an end to a great trip. Met some great people in Waynesville, if you haven't met Matt in the new fly shop there you need to. I am hoping to get a business up and running down there soon. Thanks for the hospitality and for sharing your streams.
Tight Lines,
Christopher Fisher
Old 12-10-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Great trip

Chris,
Sounds like a great trip, did not see the picture of the bow you mentioned.
The rafting destination might have been the Nantahala?
Best,
John (grew up in an around Loiusville!)
Old 12-12-2007, 01:51 PM

Chris,
Glad to hear you were able to go. I'm already looking forward to Spring. I love hunting too but my fly rods are getting lonesome.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:05 AM

Bran,
This is way off the topic but I have to comment on the dog. He looks great. I assume that you hunt him. I live up in Richmond and own a vizsla, he is 9 mos. Wondering if you could give me some tips on places to bird hunt here in VA, just moved here from Atl, GA? And eventually, some fly fishing here in VA during the spring and next fall. Hope to hear from you.

Brandon
Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 AM

Brandon,
On the Avatar, I can't take credit, that is a painting called "tradition and excellence" by Ross B. Young. He has several similar prints. My baby is a 14 month old GSP that looks identical though, I have a couple pics of her scattered around this board somewhere.
As far as hunting, the Quail situation, as you will find, is poor at best. It has really fell off the last few years. You do have a good place to the West a few miles, Amelia Game Preserve, that offers some upland hunts. You will also find the Woodcock and Common Snipe hunting to have picked up through the late December season. Come West for the 'cock and go East for the Snipe or Rail hunting. I go up toward the Blue Ridge several times for Grouse every year and that's a trip I'll be making Christmas week. There are a good number of preserves and public lands, you can check out VDGIF website and learn a lot there. I'd be glad to help with some fishing later on, maybe we could meet up and try a little warm water fishing in the spring.--Bran
Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Let me know when!

Bran,
I do not want to be to forceful, but would love to go with you on a grouse hunt. Just let me know when. I have been looking at several places lately. There are a couple of WMA, that I think could hold some grouse and woody's. If you would like to contact me outside of here my email is bwjohn@mac.com.

Brandon