Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 12-09-2007, 07:48 PM

Default Prayer

Rocky,
I applaud you for taking such a big step, asking friends for prayer.
We all stand behind you and we will keep you in our prayers.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:20 PM

Thumbs up

Rocky
Way to go and I know you have beaten that habit. My prayers have gone up and you are a non smoker. Praise the Lord! Now you will have a longer life time to fish and all that money you are saving can buy more fishing stuff.
Wyatt
Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 AM

I have been a non smoker for about 1 year. I have struggled with it many times over the years. I found that this time I really wanted to quit and it was much easier. I agree with ijsouth, the cravings really decrease over time. Whenever I get the urge, I always take some really deep breaths and savor my ability to breath deeply and slowly without coughing and gagging! I also try to remember, "This too shall pass."

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-10-2007, 02:21 PM

Asking the Lord for help and others for prayers is the best first step you can take. You can count on a prayer from me.

While it wasn't tobacco, the Lord took an adiction from me. One thing I can say is that you need to stop trying it all by yourself and turn it over to Him. Like the line from the children's song says "I am week, but He is strong".

Brother, hang in there, talk with the Lord on the tough days. If you're ever having a day where you just need someone to pray for you, my email is
jeffnles1 at insightbb dot com.

Jeff
Old 12-10-2007, 08:40 PM

Thank you folks so much!

I made it through today without a single urge.

The strength of prayers is really amazing.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:50 PM

Hang in there Rocky. You don't remember I'm sure but we floated the Hiwassee with Dane and my two brothers in law last year. I want to quit as well and we talked about that on the float trip. You have my prayers and when you get a chance say one for me to at least take that first step.

Dave
Old 12-11-2007, 12:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up

A trip to the ER for a mini-stroke about 2 1/2 years ago was all the motivation I needed to quit a 40+ year habit.

Physiologically speaking, it only takes 72 hours for your body to overcome the addictive element of tobacco. Psychologically, I don't think you ever really get past it.

For me, there will always be those "associations" that jump up and try to bite me. I no longer have the physical need, but sometimes the time/place/situation serves up a trigger that brings back memories of smoking and I think (almost wistfully) how nice it would be to have just one more. You know... morning coffee and a cigarette... pizza, beer and a cigarette... Jim Beam Black on the rocks and a cigarette...

Ironically, the most frequent time/place/situation is up on the Middle Prong at the end of a long day of fishing. Right before wading back out to head back to the truck, I have this craving to sit back on a boulder, watch the water for a while, and light one up.

That's when I remember, "Oh, yeah... that's right, I quit!"

Best of luck! You've got my prayers and hopes!

Gerry Romer
Old 12-11-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Wow!

Isn't it great to know that people you have never met can care enough to pray and offer encouragement. It makes you realize that "life is good".

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Rocky,

I'd be honored to lift up your request. I laid down the Copenhagen in a lodge in Montana October 7th '05 and with HIS help, haven't picked it up again. I applaud your conviction and your response. Good luck my friend.

P.S. I met you on the Hiwassee this year with Pella. Dane was with us also.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:16 AM

Hey there Sage, How have you been? I remember the trip this past summer well. The isonychias were popping for us and we'd hit a several risers in a row when the thunder started sounding off in the hills. Jim's response was "roll'em up" !

Guys, You don't know how much I appreciate your prayers.

I guess I'm getting fairly close to a month and so far I've not stumbled at all. I've had a few tough moments but I've not broken.

Over the past few days I've overcome some of my toughest obstacles in the habit of smoking. See, I think a smoking habit is two part. First is the nicotine addiction, and the second is the hand to mouth situation addiction. Both are very tough to break. While the nicorette (almost off it now too) has helped with the nicotine draw, I'm still fighting the situational draw. Anyway, the past few days have seen some of my toughest situations....

1. Driving to and from the river. These drives range from an hour to over three and I use knock out many smokes en route. While I had a few moments of desire....I managed to fight them off.

2. Lunch break on the river. After lunch was served to the clients, I always kicked back and had a smoke.....usually one before lunch and then another once I busted the plates and scrapes.

3. Clients who smoke. In my occupation, when I have clients who smoke....I always let them (It's amazing how much a tobacco habit fits in with a fishing habit) because the whole point of taking a guided trip is to enjoy it. ANd if you can't enjoy it your way, then your just not having the good time you'd hoped for. Well, when I had clients who smoke, I usually just joined in. Today I had a client who smoked like a 55' Falcon (same brand as I use to smoke at that).....and I handled it like a champ.

I know I'm not out of the woods yet because the urges are still strong on occasions. Yet with all the prayers and the strength from the man upstairs....I feel like I'm going to make it up that mountain that seemed so tall at one time.

Thank you guys so much for including me in your thoughts and prayers. I don't know how to thank you all other than letting you know how much it's meaning to me and my family.