Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Default Try the pill

I tried many times and lost. Last year I went with Pfizer's Chantix and it worked like a charm. I have no stake in Pfizer and actually hate giving them props, but it worked. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Hope you're doing well sans cigarettes! I wish I could put down the skoal, man, it's so tough, especially on the river. I think I've been classically conditioned! Good luck! Resist! Resist!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:49 AM

I have seen this post for some time know and purposely avoide it. I am 46 and have been smoking since I was in my early twenties.Today is day 20 of cold turkey no cigarettes, no more dip, no patch, just sugarless gum, and alot of prayers from myself,family and church family. Any additional prayers are welcomed. It is getting much easier but it can still be very difficult.
Good luck to all of you trying to quit.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 AM

Hang in there...I quit, cold turkey, 5 years ago. Occasionally I get a craving, but it only lasts for a few seconds. You won't miss them. I was fortunate, in that I wasn't that heavy of a smoker - averaged around 10 a day.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:52 PM

Hey rainbbow....
Hang in there. You're doing a good thing. Prayers coming your way!
Old 05-30-2008, 05:19 PM

Thumbs up Kicking It

rainBBow,
Glad to hear it has already been 20 days. Most of the hardest part, after making the decision to kick the habit, is almost behind you. Keep going and don't look back.
Prayers are with you
Old 05-31-2008, 09:43 AM

hey man good luck. I may not be able to cast that great, but I can sure pray your guts out. Christ can do anything if we just stay out of his way and dont limit him with our doubt. You can do through Him. In Christ, No Hackle.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:46 PM

That's awesome rainBBow. Prayers sent as well.

I've got over six months under my belt now. And folks were right,you will still have cravings every now and then.....but they don't last long.

I'm currently enjoying all the extra money laying around that hasn't went into the Phillip Morris bank account.

Just be strong and have faith.....that along with a bunch of prayers from my friends got me through it. And I was a heavy smoker......could've went pro at it if I wanted to.
Old 06-09-2008, 01:26 AM

My Dad has finally quit smoking after 20 years. It took some drastic measures to get it in his head that he needed to stop.

The weekend of 4-5-08 my dad and I took a hiking trip up Big Frog Mnt in Ocoee. My dad has always been in pretty good physical shape, could always work around the house and on projects just as hard as I could, but this hiking trip really hurt him pretty hard. At one point I was really concerned that he might not be able to walk off the mountain.

But long story short, he made it off the mountain and had a doctors appointment that following Monday. The doctor thought that he heard something strange in his neck on the left side and had him see another doctor that following Thursday. It turns out that he had almost 90% blockage of his carotid artery, and was having surgery that next Tuesday.

That is the first time I have ever seen my Dad in the hospital like that in the ICU and was really hard on me. He has made a full recovery and started work this past week. I have had to make the trip to Cleveland and Knoxville 3-4 times a week to help take care of things around the house and cabin because he wasnt able to work.

This experience has shown him how bad the choices he was making was affecting him but also hurting his family as well. I can honestly say that the thought of smoking now to my dad scares him. I dont know what I would do without him because he is honestly my best friend, and I am just so thankful that we caught this before it was almost too late.

Good luck to anyone that is trying to make their lifes better for themselves but also their family who cares about them.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:16 PM

Just an update, I have quit counting days. Its been almost 4 months cold turkey. Thanks for the prayers and encouragement.