Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-10-2007, 06:28 AM

Default Jackson Hole

This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I've never been out west at all, let alone in the winter, but I'm going to Jackson Hole in January mainly to learn to ski (if it were my decision I'd go in the summer to fish, but anyway...) Is there fishing of any kind in January? I know it will be really cold, and I'm one hardly deterred by bad conditions, but is it just too cold to fish? I read a fishing report that said streams not frozen over offer decent fishing. Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 AM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Lucky guy! Jackson is my favorite place to visit. The skiing in Jackson is AMAZING. After getting off the slopes spend some time walking around downtown and be sure to eat at the Cadillac Grill and drink a beer at the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar.

Check with a local shop for fishing conditions. Weather in the west can be 70 degrees one day and 20 below the next.

High Country Flies toll free 866.733.7210.
Jack Dennis Sports toll free 800.570.3270.

Good luck and have a great time!

Scott
Old 12-10-2007, 02:24 PM

Hey thanks a lot for the response. I'm really looking forward to it, I hear it's spectacular there in the winter. I'll be sure to try those two places too. I don't think I could pass up a place thats named the Million Dollar Cowboy Bar.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:47 PM

Default reply

Be sure to eat breakfast at Nora's--It is at the base of the Teton Pass--Get a copy of and watch 1)Shane-a classic-as good now aswhen it was released
2) Any which way you can--a Clint flick that is really not too good, in fact it is bad,but it was shot in Jackson Hole and the motorcycle gang,the gangsters and the ape make it a lot of fun to watch...hang out at high country fly shop for fishing news...Teton Steakhouse --is a good choice for most meals---see if Pacific Creek is being fished,if they are talking about the Snake River be careful ,careful--but no matter how the fishing is,JH and the Tetons will blow your mind---you are in for a treat--
Old 12-10-2007, 05:05 PM

Already Jackson Hole has seen 116" of snow. By the time you get there I am sure they will be at the 300-400 inch mark. You are going to have a very good time my friend.

My home mountain in Montana just got 25 new inches. I leave for Montana this Saturday and I will be on the slopes Sunday morning for opening weekend! 3 weeks of skiing and fishing starting Saturday ... I wonder why my day at work is dragging on so slow today
Old 12-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Almost forgot another killer place to eat in Jackson. I took my wife there the first night we got to Jackson for our honeymoon and it "scored" me some big brownie points. Its not on the beaten path but if you like good authentic Italian food made by real Italian chefs in a quiet little restaurant, I recommend it highly. Alittle expensive but ... what isn't expensive in Jackson Hole?

I can't remember the name but if you ask a local about the "Italian restaurant near the Inn on the Creek B&B" they will point you in the right direction.

(Sorry I am posting so much in your thread. I just get excited when people talk about Jackson Hole.)