Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-10-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Cumberland is AMAZING

Cumberland is amazing. The people who say that it's gone downhill since the dam failure have lost their minds. Fishing has been so hot these past few weeks it was unbelievable. The champion fly, a zebra midge, produced tons of fish, a few big ones too. If you can believe it this brown took a size 20 zebra and fought like the dickens. If you havent been to cumberland in a while nows the time to go, literally the time of my life fishing..................so far that is. Anyway enjoy!
this is my bro. with the bow, click on pics to see better images.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:12 PM

Default Good Report

Thanks for the report, and good to hear the tailwater is still fishing good. I need to get out that way sometime. Nice looking fish you got there.

Travis
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 PM

Default thanks

thanks and yes you should definately make a trip up, maybe we could fish together
Old 12-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the post. Those are some very nice fish. I think I might head up that way in a couple of weeks.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Cumberland River

Where on the river were you? I have fished down toward (actually above) Burkesville a few times and had fantastic fishing down there as well. We had our best fish on stonefly nymphs down that way. Also caught some fish on streamers, saw a brown that would have gone 6-8lb come after the streamer. He lost the race though to about three lb rainbow! . I bet the average fish that day was 15 or 16". That river doesn't have alot of wadeable access, that and the regs have really made that a blue ribbon fishery. May not be quite as pretty as out west, but the fish and fishing are compareable.
I have been a little hesitant to post, but I was very late getting in on that one!
Best,
John
Old 12-10-2007, 11:45 PM

Great report and pics! Do you know how much a one-day non-resident license would cost? I may have to come up over Christmas break and try it out... Also, is there enough wade access to make it a worthwhile trip?
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-11-2007, 12:25 AM

Default License/Permit

Nonresident fishing license for one day is 10 bucks. Trout stamp, also good for one year $10.00, not bad for a day on the Cumberland.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 PM

Default wading

The wading is perfect near helms and the dam. Some spots drop off but other than that wading has been easy. Thats what I do, I have thought about bringing our bass buggy but dont know if it could handle it. Also I usualy fish helms or the little creeks off the main river, the current near the dam is so slow for my fishing style its not enjoyable. But definately make a trip up and bring plenty of zebras, it'll be worth your while.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info guys! It looks like I'll probably try to make a trip up over Christmas break. I'll let you know how it goes...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-12-2007, 02:57 PM

Default good times

Last Sunday Iwaded ,below Traces of the Cumberland--fished the "Rock Wall",the water was low,current strong,saw a brown trout make a wake,going thru the water,I was about 20 feet from him---I placed well placed casts,sinking #20 Zebra midge right in front of his nose--He was not interested---turned in the current and come toward meCame to within 6ft or so from me---looked to be at least 30 inches long---must have weighed 20lbs ---Close to the state record---Cumberland is a phenom that does the heart good--the trout numbers are excellant---below Burksville the fish seem to get larger---fishing out of a boat can be awesome---trout out of these waters tastes great--I usually keep a few---fillets are soaked in olive oil and lemon juice for about an hour then grilled,throw a peice of hickory in the fire to get a little smoke on them they'll get done quickly--yummie