Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-13-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Abrams Creek

Im headed to abrams creek tommorow to do some hiking with a friend and I figured i'd bring the rod along to wet a fly while im there. Any suggestions as to what pattern to use? Ill probly start from cades cove and hike up to the falls.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:29 PM

I'm gonna fish either the little river or the middle prong tomorrow. I'm gonna begin fishing a black caddis or bwo, with either a beadhead pheasant tail, or prince nymph. I'll probably just use the dry as an indicator, and switch nymphs till I find something that works. I wouldn't take my word for it though. I haven't fished the park since september, and I've never fished in the winter. Of course the temps have been up lately, so it may be some good fishing tomorrow. Let's hope.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:10 AM

Highstick a PT...
Old 12-14-2007, 12:29 PM

the weather on Sat. is to be in the mid 40's with the rain coming in the afternoon. Be careful that you don't get caught by the falls if the weather turns nasty. I myself would try a dry fly yellowish colors with a heavy nymph dropped behind. Good luck and take some pictures.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:06 PM

Default Don't be scared!

BHPTFB, don't be scared to go big Sizes 12-18! With all the rain we've had too don't forget the white zonker through the stained water! Good luck and give us the report back!

Brett
Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 PM

The trip turned into more of a hiking trip than a fishing trip which was fine with me. I brought my rod along and hit 5 or 6 holes along the way up to the falls. I started with a caddis and #16 bh prince. I had no luck, but then I swithed to a quill gordon after I noticed one come off. In the next spot I spooked a couple of nice rainbows in the 12 inch range. I didnt have any luck the rest of the time. Only saw one fish rise, but I was not fishing any long stretch of water. I ended up calling it a day after breaking off my tippet and both my flys. I did not bring my waders on the hike, but after fishing the first hole I kind of wished I had brought them, but then again they would have been a pain to haul in addition to my boots. Some light weight hip waders would have been nice though. But like I said it was just a a hiking trip with a friend who dosent fish so I didnt want to turn it into a fishing trip. Looked like they got a little rain up there. Wish I could have fished harder, but it was a great day to be outside.