Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-17-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Loop Connectors

Folks, any and all ideas, input, and thoughts are welcome on this one. I have used the loop connectors since the mid nineties and I'm beginning to get annoyed with them. They don't stay secure unless you use some sort of adhesive, and when you do they end up being stiff as a toothpick. Eventually the line begins to wear at the seam.

I used to use the little connectors you kind of thread onto the line in the core of the line. They are not easy to thread on to small size lines.

I guess I'm going back to the old fashioned nail knot.

Anyone have any info or tips on how to splice line with needle and thread like they did in the old days?

Like I said: any input on this would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by tennswede; 12-17-2007 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Default loop to loop

Hans, I had someone needle splice a loop connection of a flyline several years ago at a fly shop and it seemed to want to draw water into the tip and eventually cause it to sink. I went back to nailknotting myself. I replace them every few months and seal the tip with a dap of zap-a-gap. I like the red amnesia and tie a perfection loop on it.
The little brass nail knot tool hangs on my lanyard for on stream repairs if needed.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:59 PM

I used to use the connectors but had one give out on me so I nail knot some heavy mono to the end of the fly line and use a perfection loop like Troutman was saying... I've been tempted to go completely to knotted leaders but it is so convenient to just use a loop to loop connection and have a whole new leader ready to go...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-17-2007, 07:20 PM

I used to use the Cortland Braided Loop connectors, but in addition to becoming brittle and breaking off, I seemed to catch my tippet in the connection part, way too often. I had the same trouble with the nail knot I had tied before that, it always seem to snag my fly or tippet on casts. I know it probably has more to do with my casting style (or lack of one) than the type, but now that I have tied a double surgeon's knot in the end of my fly line and the leader connected directly to it (loop-to-loop), I get a much better turnover on the fly and don't seem to snag myself anywhere near as much (probably less than 1/20th of the times as before). It may be the heavier knot (or more practice casting), but it just seems to work better for me. And I never need to worry about it.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:00 PM

Gary!

Thanks for the info on splicing. I was afraid that it might cause a problem. I probably will do the nail knot with some heavy mono as suggested by David.

Pete:

I'm a little slow tonight, more than usual I should say. Explain how you attach the leader again. What do you do with the fly line?

Sorry for being slow.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Loop to Loop

Have Daniel take care of ya...A small peice of mono nail knotted to your fly line and a loop connection on the end...It's certainly the best...I've never ran into that problem with SA's connector series....But it's much to heavy and I hate carring the extra adapter tool around with me! Doesn't make it easy to change and quite frankly I'm suprised to hear your using them....I know you pack lightly on a trip Felt like I just learned sumthin!!

Brett
Old 12-18-2007, 08:47 AM

Buy a new fly line with the welded loops I've used them all at one point, i like the splice on my small stream rods, sealed with Pliobond or Knot Sense.
I'll nail knot a piece of Amnesia to a few of my rigs, once again sealing the end of the line.
I'm liking the welded loops the manufacturers are going to these days, i'll still splice my small stream rods so there aren't any knots going through the guides on the shorter rods.
Anyone remember the old metal spikes, i think they're still around

Grumpy
Old 12-18-2007, 09:02 AM

Grumpy!

Yes, I used the spikes for years, it worked fine until I got down to line sizes 4 and below. They become very tricky to attach in small sizes.

I've got a lot of lines so I don't need any new ones for a while, but when I do I wish all manufacturers goes to welded loops.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:53 AM

Hopefully it was a fluke but I had one of those welded loops give out on a line that was less than a year old... Anyone else have any problems with those?
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-18-2007, 09:13 PM

I haven't had any problems with the loops - I'm sort of forced to use them with the furled leaders I like...the one problem I've had is at the other end of the furled leader - I've gone through three of them this year, and they're really supposed to last a year apiece. It might be the way I fish - I'm tough on everything - clothes, shoes, etc.