Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 PM

Default loops

Like almost everyone I have tried several connections. One I like is to put a loop in the fly line. Use your bobbin and good thread. Trim the end of the fly line for a flusher fit. Wrap the thread around the arms of your bobbin to tighten it up. Wrap it around the line to form a loop. Lay a loop of thread to pull the end thru the wound thread. Glue it up. Takes a little time, but it is a nice connection. Be sure to test your loop so it doesn't pull out. Use bright thread, sort of a strike indicator.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 PM

ijsouth!

Don't feel bad, I joined the bandwagon with furled leaders. I bought the ones which were and still are heavily advertised from a well known maker up north. Well, I went thru several in one summer and I even had one completely separate from my fly line while fishing on Hiwassee. needless to say I lost that fish, leader and all. I gave up on them, they don't work for me. I think they are good for big rivers with no obstructions such as rocks, trees, etc. I.e pretty useless in my opinion unless you fish smooth runs on a western river all the time. I'm sure others have had luck with them but I stick with the old mono.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:14 PM

monktrout!

I have actually read about your method recently and briefly thought about trying it. I'm gonna have to do something this spring. I'm just tired of the stiffness and the bad turnover with the braided loop connectors.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 PM

check the dave whitlock system , of connecting leader to flyline by using a needle up the center of your flyline and drawing the leader back thru and gluing with ca and coating uv knot sense works great no hang up in guides . i have used this connecting works great.[ umpqua has a kit for this connection ask lro for one
Old 12-19-2007, 01:35 AM

Hans...yep, you're right - the Blue Sky ones said they were originally developed for the chalk streams in England, which are a far cry from the Smokies. They really aren't designed for the small streams I like to fish, but I will say one thing - I'm able to really present a fly delicately and accurately with them. It's ok for me, since I'm not up there fishing all the time; if I was, I would probably go back to the mono...I have all the leader material, and the formulas, etc. If I fished every weekend, I would have to go that route, for economic reasons if nothing else.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Loop Connectors

This past year I have gone back to the old method of leader nail- knotted to fly line. I think this is less wind resistant plus fewer knots and less tangles. I find it also turns over more smoothly for me. I would like to hear what the guides like Hugh and Rocky have to say. They probably get to fish more than all of the rest of us.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYFSN View Post
This past year I have gone back to the old method of leader nail- knotted to fly line. I think this is less wind resistant plus fewer knots and less tangles. I find it also turns over more smoothly for me. I would like to hear what the guides like Hugh and Rocky have to say. They probably get to fish more than all of the rest of us.
If you like the nail knot, the leader splice would suit you as well. I use loop2loop on guide trips on account of all anglers aren't equal casters. In other words, some folks can destroy a leader in a short amount of time no matter how much coaching you give them
The nail knot or leader splice give you the smoothest connection, should you pull the leader through the guides while bringing in a fish. I try to stop at the nail knot, especially with smaller tippet attached, it's just big enough to hang & possibly snap the fish off if you get it inside the guides.
Once again, i treat the splice or nail knot with Pliobond or Knot Sense to make a smoother connection & to seal the line.
On a few 5/6 weight outfits, i have tied a loop into a .021 butt section of mono & threaded it into the end of the fly line, pulling the loop knot all the way into the line,that makes a smooth connection for the loop to loop & the only knot there is on the leader loop. This dosen't work to well on smaller fly lines, then again, you maybe able to use a smaller diameter mono & accomplish the same, i'd be cncerned about the strength of the loop though.
As i always say, what works for one, won't work for the next 10, as long as you're happy, go for it

Grumpy
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Leader connections

Guys, I think that I have gone through everything that has been mentioned as time has passed on the stream. For quite a while I like to use a Nailknot and 20lb. Red Amnesia with a loop about 3-4in. long. This made for a good loop to loop connection for tapered leaders, but, it wasn't always smooth flowing thru the guides. I did change to the Cortland Loop Connectors, which I really liked; but they had some of the problems of failing. After reading how some guys used the flexible type of Super Glue, or Knot Sense, or Pliobond, this seems to have worked the failure problems out. I did switch last year to the flylines with factory made loops on the end. I have not had a problem since then, and they cast well.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM

On my newest lines that has the factory loop I use them, on lines say a year or so old or older, I have on the light line rods, the "Whitlock" glued in the line splice and so far haven't lost the line or any mountain trophys. On the rest of the older lines, I have a nail knotted mono with a perfection look.

I have and like a perfection loop on all my lines, makes for easy and quick leader changes.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:36 PM

Elkriverrat!

That's what I'm going to do, use a length of mono and nail knot it to the line, and in a few years when I need a new line, I will try to find one with welded loops.