Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-19-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Old Wet Flies

Digging through my tackle and trying to restore order, I came across a box of wet flies that I bought in Japan in 1964. They are in mint condition and I can identify some patterns. Do you suppose there is any value to these flies or are they just keep sakes?
Old 12-19-2007, 02:08 PM

Probably not, unless they are Salmon Flies, but hey, wet flies are coming back or we should make em' come back. I'm heavily getting in to soft hackles, North Country Spiders, and such. If I could just find an old wicker creel and some tweed I'm all set. LOL
Old 12-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Hans,
I have a wicker creel but I made it into a table lamp. Sure looks good on my fly tying bench.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Wet flies

Hi Jack,
If you happen to have a camera, and you could make a picture of the flies laid out on some type of light solid background, I could help you identify them and maybe advise you about possibly fishing some of them or maybe even placing a few in a shadow box to place in your house. If they are still in good shape, they would be beautiful, displayed over a hearth, or in the Den. They just add character to a "Man's Place", in the house.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:53 PM

Smile Creel

A few years ago, a friend of my father-in-law gave me an old creel, flies in a leather wallet, fly fishing line, and a reel all of which he said was his grandfathers. The reel was made in England. Reggie was about 80 when he gave it to me so it is pretty old. The creel needs some restoring. Anyone know where I might get it restored?

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:41 PM

Hugh,
Thanks. That's a great idea. Also I hope to be up that way after the first of the year. I'll let you know when I'm coming and I'll bring them with me. I'll try the camera thing as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:20 AM

I was looking through some of my granddad's attic this summer when I found an old bag that just had to have fishing stuff in it. To my surprise, it was full of fly-fishing items. I put an old wooly-worm pattern from montana attached to a reciept listing it for $.29, an old leader package, a royal wulff pattern, and old split shot container, and an old saltwater streamer. I also got an old hardy reel with original line on it as well as an 8'6 hardy bamboo rod to go with it and the reciept for the rod. Pretty sweet. Unfortunately my granddad was diagnosed with alzheimers disease a while back and won't get to use his tackle anymore and he allowed me to take it home with me. So it all carries a lot of sentimental value for me. And I figure all this vintage gear will look great in a fishing "man's room" in the future.

-ben
Old 12-20-2007, 01:12 PM

My husband found an old Perrine automatic reel from the 60's in his Dad's attic the last time he was at his house for a visit. Still in the original box with the papers. Not sure what if anything it may be worth, but it is still a great addition to out antique hunting and fishing stuff we've got.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:47 PM

Speaking of Perrine, does anyone know if they are still around?They were the biggest name in Sweden in the seventies for flyboxes in aluminium.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:14 PM

Hans, I have an old Perrine automatic reel that I bought years ago, but it seemed too heavy for the rods that I had. I only tried it a couple of times, and it has been resting in it's original plastic box from way back in the sixties. I do not know if they are still being produced, but mine seemed to work fine, except for it's weight. Jim Jones (Auburn, Alabama)