Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 12-20-2007, 06:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald
Default good news in townsend

breaking news:Blount County resident Laverne Farmer has established a conservation easement on her 210-acre farm, fronting U.S. 321, in Townsend.

Bill Clabough, executive director of the Foothills Land Conservancy in Maryville, announced the donation of the development rights to the FLC today. It is one of 11 conservation easements in Blount County that the FLC is in the process of securing.

Although Farmer reserved the right to remodel and expand the two existing houses on the tract, she wants to preserve the rest of the farm in its current condition.

“Basically, the rest of it will stay exactly like it is forever,” Clabough said.

A conservation easement is a transfer of usage rights that restricts development on a property. As 2007 winds to a close, the conservancy is securing 25 conservation easements throughout Tennessee, 11 in Blount County alone, that will protect 4,000 acres in all.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:04 PM

Sam,

This is the best news I've heard in a long time. I knew Bill was working with Mrs. Farmer. Her farm is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. It's the one across the road from our shop where I count the cows every morning. Thank you for sharing this and making my Christmas the best ever.

And thanks to Mrs. Farmer for making this happen. She has always said it would never be developed. She stood by her word.

Byron
Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 PM

I don't know Mrs. Farmer but I'm glad she did this. What a great Christmas present for Townsend and for the area.

Jeff
Old 12-20-2007, 11:14 PM

Default Great News!

With all the farms in Blount County that have been subdivided and developed over the past decade, this is indeed great news to have someone willing to forgo the development worth of the property in favor of preserving it intact. Thanks, much from all of us Blount Countians to Mrs. Farmer.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 12-21-2007, 02:56 PM

Another thanks to Ms. Farmer for her generous donation. I along with many others enjoy Townsend just the way it is. It is good to know that my children will grow up with the same Townsend I did.
Thanks and Merry Christmas
Old 12-22-2007, 08:05 AM

Hoorah for preservation instead of development! God bless and thanks Mrs. Farmer. What a gift she has given to all of us!
Old 12-22-2007, 08:29 AM
Administrator

I read the article online...and the photograph of the land was taken looking toward Little River Outfitters...you can see where Byron looks out to count the cows every day.

Thank you, Mrs. Farmer. Generations of people will be appreciative of your foresight and generosity.

Paula