Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Post Fly Tying DVD

Would appreciate suggestions for a DVD for a beginner at tying flies. Since I will not be able to attend the class at LRO until some time next year, the DVD seems like an alternative for now.
I have a good book but it would help to see it done.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:17 PM

I started fly tying earlier this year and I found that the basic Fly Tying Books were easier, as they go at your pace you dont have to stop the DVD, and go back and forth. The DVD's sometimes are a little quicker than you can catch on and if you buy a step by step book like Fly Tying For Beginners, by:Peter Gathercole, it will allow you to get all your materials needed, and then astep by step color photo, as well as scriptive applications of the different materials. i was up and running in around a week or so. i was tying everything I could get my hands on, my husband had more flies than he will ever fish, and I statred in using tham with him, so now we have the team, and the method of flies we need for what ever adventure we go on. have Fun!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:25 PM

Default Thanks

kayakfish,

Thanks for your suggestion. After talking with a friend subsequent to making the post, I went with the books rather than a DVD for the reasons you mentioned. LRO (Paula) was, as always, a great help.

My first attempt was pretty awful. However, as an experiment I used it last week and to my surprise landed a 10 inch rainbow on the second cast. Just goes to show that some fish may not be as picky people.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM

Default Dvd

ir, I learned fly tying on videos. I found them very helpful. DVD's are obviously easier to use than VHS. I received some A.K. Best tying DVD's from my niece. Very nice. Books are great also. Observing another tyer is also good. It's all about proportions and not crowding the head. After 15 years of tying my parachute Adams' still needs an emergency chute. Hope to run in to you on the Elk or Duck.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:41 PM

Post Fly Tying DVD

Monktrout,
Thanks for the input on the fly tying DVD. The local College is offering a course starting in March which I plan to attend because it is so convenient.
Have you been to the Elk recently? I have been fishing the Duck since it is a lot closer. Went for a few hours today. Landed a few but the fishing was kinda slow.
Let me know when you plan to be fishing in this area and I will try to meet you.
Elton
Old 01-17-2008, 08:11 AM

Default Elk

Elton, Good to hear from you. Fished the Elk 12/26. Fishing was only fair. Fished the Clinch last week. Good day. Don't expect to be on the Elk soon. If I can break free I'll post. You will enjoy fly tying. Don't expect to save money. You can tie up a small fortune in materials, etc. I may have some items I can pass on to you. My email is forhscc@yahoo.com Tight Lines, Monk