Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-22-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Innovative fly tying

Since I've been relieved of school and baseball duties over Christmas break, I've done a lot of fly tying. I've also made up some flies, for both pratical use and also just for the sake of creativity. I've been thinking of new things I could use to tie flies with. It seems like anything I look at anymore, I try to figure out how I could use it to tie something with. So far, I've used, foam from a loofah, some sparkly Christmas tree decorations (in purple, silver, and gold) they make a good flash in the tail of a streamer, i added them to each side of a white zonker to maybe imitate a rainbow fry, I've also used tennis ball fuzz, and also some pink marabouish feathers on the top of a pen.

Anyone have any non-standard fly tying materials they use, even if its not regularly?
Old 12-23-2007, 01:07 AM

My three cats have provided dubbing as of this week.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Hans, you've got it baaaaaaaaad!! You've definitely been bit...

Gerry
Old 12-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Gerry!

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm hooked, I noticed a whisker on the carpet from Tiggy one of my cats, it should work great for antennaes or maybe tailing material.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Siberian Husky

I've been intrigued by my Husky's fur for quite some time. I finally started tying some flies with a mix of fur from my Husky and Golden Lab that I found in a dust bunny under our couch. I may still cut a few hairs off the husky and use them for a black caddis pattern...
Old 12-23-2007, 10:25 PM

I have tied some streamers with some boarder collie tail hair. I seem to be drawn to wanting to stop for road kill though. My wife promises me that I can buy whatever materials I need as long as I do not stop for them.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:54 PM

Smile Material swap?

We are getting a Irish Wolfhound puppy in the 2nd week of Jan. He is a Grey Brindle and he will provide many good opportunities. I will never have to buy a white calf tail due to a 3 lb maltese running around the house. Also the cat has many different gray's and blue's available. If anybody need some different dubbing or white fur please send me an email and I will send some to you.
Maybe we could have a home brew material swap? Then see what kind of flies we can come up with and have someone post the pictures?
I hope you guys think this might be fun to try.
-Ben
Old 12-24-2007, 12:26 AM

Most of my unusual stuff comes from the kids stuffed animals and dolls. Ragedy Ann's yarn hair makes for some nice rust colored dubbing or even thread for a nice midge pattern. Just don't let your 2 yr old watch you give the doll a haircut or she will tell mom on ya

Our dog is a Jack Russell, and he always barks at me when I've got that look in my eye and the scissors in my hand. I'm gonna give him a little more time.