Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-28-2007, 04:55 PM

Default fly tying tables

i have seen several inexpensive commercial models and they are mediocre and do not meet "home-decor" standards

the coldstream flytying desks are pretty neat, but cost more than i want to spend

what do people recommend for a fly-tying desk? it does not have to be a purpose built flytying desk/table. i would like multiple storage drawers and it to be wood
Old 12-28-2007, 08:15 PM

DrDan:

I purchased a small drop leaf fly tying table from the C*****'s catalog. It is solid red oak and came unstained, so I stained it to match the other furniture in my home office. I also ordered separately, a chest of drawers that sits on the top of the desk for supplies, feathers, etc.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:44 AM

I sit on my bed and tie on my nightstand. it's not ideal. actually, it sucks, but it works. you could always get a nice rolltop somewhere. that way you could just roll the top down and the mess is gone.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:18 PM

If I did not have my current set up I would have a rolltop desk. I would look at a couple of auctions (not online) and then give up and buy an unstained one. Local auctions would be Terry's on Broadway. Halls on 321, and maybe Buttermilk Road off I40 near the Hackney building. Buttermilk has more antiques than the others so you may not have as much luck there. Ask the people at the places for them also. There are always people trying to get rid of things. I had a hard time finding something that was made for fly tying that I would like.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:09 AM

I looked at the Coldstream site I might have one if I had "Oprah" money. I tie on a folding table that's 30" X 72" in my man cave up in a room over the garage. I keep all my stuff in tuppaware type plastic containers and a old chest of drawers with cedar drawers I bought at a yard sell for $15. I would rather spend the money on more tying material and terminal tackle.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 AM

Roll Tops rule, check your local paper for yard sales/classifieds. I was fortunate enough to get an older desk that had been refurbished for less than $200
I talked to a gentleman yesterday that has built a couple for around $700 from solid wood, haven't seen the desk, from his description, he's done his homework though.

Grumpy
Old 12-30-2007, 11:10 AM

Default tying tables

I picked up this secretary desk a few years ago at an antiques store for $80. It was built in 1946 by a NC furniture company. Solid cherry with dovetailed drawers. It works great for my needs and plenty of space for all the extra gear and tying materials.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:49 PM

Looks great troutman. In my man cave I bought an 8ft section of counter top and made brackets for it. I put it up high so the animals in the house will not bother the materials if i leave the door open. I made it for less than $100. I have four bar stools that were given to me from my wife.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:38 PM

Default my desk

I work at Kitchen Sales in Knox and I grabbed two 4-drawer bases and a knee drawer to put in the middle. I also had travertine colored laminate top cut to go on top. The color is easy on the eyes and doesn't show messes since the pattern is so scattered. I would love to have a roll top to hide my stuff so I don't have to put things up all the time. Mine is the same height as the kitchen counter top so the dogs don't grab whatever they want. it is very easy to clean up since I have 8 drawers and 2 are empty, but with all the trips to LRO they wont be empty for long. You can send me an email if something like this interests you and I will see if we have any extra cabinets that would fit your space. If not I would call to some furniture restoration companies and see if they have anything that wasn't picked up. I might call C-N-S refinishing or see if they know anyone that might have one for sale. Good luck on your search and let us know what you come up with
Old 12-30-2007, 08:25 PM

Here is one I built. Plans are available at http://www.appalachianflyfishing.com...sk/FlyDesk.php