Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 12-30-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Occasionally

I drop off to the dark side, not a lot of traffic on this one is it? Everyone else comes out of the closet these days, where's the boo & glass folks

Grumpy
Old 12-30-2007, 09:58 AM

Well reading this new forum has peeked my interest in the bamboo rods. I've got one I'm bidding on on ebay right now. Hope I win it. I'm anxious to try out a bamboo.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:33 AM

Default Ebay

What rod are you bidding on FishNlady?

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 12-30-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmcc View Post
What rod are you bidding on FishNlady?
It was a Southbend. I didn't get it. Got outbid by $1.00! Oh well there's plenty more on there. I'll keep trying.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:00 AM

One question to always ask a seller, are all sections the CORRECT length, not the same length, the CORRECT length. I've seen many a folk thinking they had a treasure & all they had was a fixed/broken rod, that's not a totally bad thing in a way though.

Grumpy
Old 01-01-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishNlady View Post
It was a Southbend. I didn't get it. Got outbid by $1.00! Oh well there's plenty more on there. I'll keep trying.
It sounds like you were "sniped". It has happened to me several times on some glass rods and a couple of vintage reels. You think you've won and in the last 2 seconds an auto "snipe" bid takes it for $1 more.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
It sounds like you were "sniped". It has happened to me several times on some glass rods and a couple of vintage reels. You think you've won and in the last 2 seconds an auto "snipe" bid takes it for $1 more.
Yeah, I think you're right. It happened again last night. Got outbid on another one by $1. Guess I'll have to start using the Auction sniper program myself and maybe then I can get the last bid in and win one!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:44 PM

Default sniping

Sniping is about the only way to do EBay auctions any more. 2 big reasons:

1) When everyone else is doing it, it's the only way to still be competitive.
2) Shill bidding - and this is a bad, bad thing. It is possible, because of the way that EBay automatically stairsteps the bids, for a seller to discover what a person's highest bid is, by using a fake account to bid the price up until the seller discovers the maximal amount that a potential buyer will bid. The only way to prevent this is to snipe. It is nearly impossible for EBay to do anything about it. It happened to me once. I snipe now. I hate doing it, but you'll get ripped off by many of savvy sellers if you don't.

Having said that, I have never used sniping software. Sniping manually is pretty easy with a good Internet connection.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 AM

I have to admit I've started heading to the dark side.

I currently own 2 diamondglass rods as well as a rebuild cane rod. I'm also having Mike McFarland build a custom fiberglass rod as a tribute to a family member that passed away last year.

I find myself suited to the slower casting stroke. Suits my personality. I'd love to have a classic bamboo rod or even one from a newer builder. I just cant justify the cost.