Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-31-2007, 05:22 PM

Default Need two patterns, Flyman help!

Georges nymph, and the just add water midge....Help! Could use a picture to accompany the recipe...Don't have much time, I'm at work today or I'd search it up myself...I tried looking for the just add water for a few minutes with no luck...I've seen this fly before but cant remember what she looks like!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
~Brett
Old 12-31-2007, 08:26 PM

Default I'm not Flyman but this is the Late L.J. DeCuir's recipe or from his book.

GEORGE NYMPH (Cottontop Nymph)

Hook: Mustad 94840 (dry fly) #8-12
Thread: Black
Tail: Brown hackle fibres
Wing Case: Turkey wing strip, full length top of body
Body: Peacock herl
Hump: White fur or acrylic, tied in on top as hump after turkey wing back is secured and before throat is tied in; after the throat is tied in and trimmed then white hump is pulled forward tied off and trimmed before whip finish
Throat: Brown hackle tied collar style and trimmed on top
Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Bumping this one up. Isn't a George Nymph basically an Isonychia that looks like it's been in a dog fight??

Gerry
Old 01-02-2008, 06:58 PM

no!! iso is mahagony in color with a white line length of back . a george nymph is similar to a tellico using peacock body with turkey or a grouse tail and over back with a white wing case with brown hackle throat. works great in the park and on the hi.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 PM

Wasn't george nymph originally designed for the Clinch?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:21 AM

Flyman, I'm feeling really bad now that I see you have started your own search for this fly....Ha ha ha!! Dad was doing some searching and came across another thread you had posted in regards to that midge. He told me about it a little earlier in the night and I must say I got a kick out of it. I guess I'm just gonna have to break down and call Kris Maurer up and find out what this pattern is..I got the name of it off his fishing buddy Doug Moore and was scratching my head with familiarity when he said the name "Just add water." I know it's a "real" pattern because I know I've seen this pattern before...Why it is that I can't find it now is maddening! Does anyone out there have the book called "Midge Magic", for some reason I'm thinking it's in that book! Any who, Daniel if your reading this go ahead and order that book for me, I'll pick her up stat!

In the meen and between time, don't give up hope I'm sure we will find the answer soon enough!

Thanks for everyone's help on the Georges Nymph...I knew it had another name, Daniel had told me that once before!

~Brett
Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 AM

And I still can't find the Just Add Water Midge Usually between all of the resources I have it will turn up something. What's so bad is that it sounds familiar. Now the George Nymph is a different story. Hugh Hartsell has a nice tutorial on his site with the recipe, good photos, and step by step instruction.

http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com...orge_nymph.htm
Old 01-03-2008, 09:41 AM

brent ; i have the book midge magic have read a few times , that pattern is not in the book.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Default Hey Bill

I was wondering how that book was, though about picking up a copy...I could certainly learn a thing or two when it comes to fishing that hatch! Any thought's?

~Brett
Old 01-04-2008, 11:43 PM

I believe this pattern is in L.J. Decuir's book titled "Southeastern Flies: A Collection of Flies, Fly-Tying & Fly-Fishing tips for Use on the Tailwaters, Streams and Lakes of the Southeastern United States". I can't find my copy to confirm that however. Maybe someone else has this book?