Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-03-2008, 09:19 AM

Default Blue Ridge Trip

I went Grouse hunting the other day, walked majority of the day with my pointer. We weren't having any luck so I decided to give the Brookies a try when I came back to my truck. I fished about 30-45 minutes, I tried ants with droppers, dries with droppers, and lastly just a BHP by itself. I never got a strike to my knowledge. I've never tried the Brookies in winter, do you all fish for them or is it just Browns or Bows in cold weather?---Bran
Old 01-03-2008, 10:23 AM

I've fished for them in the winter before, and as long as you can deal with the cold it's usually about the same as the fishing at lower elevations, at least that's what i have found. The water is a little colder than lower elevation streams, but in my experience that fact is negated by the fact that the trout are slightly less educated than their downstream brethren. I've had days in the winter where i've caught lots of brookies and others when i couldn't buy a strike. I try not to let the cold weather keep me off the streams, but winter fishing is definitely tougher. Like everyone says, just used weighted nymphs and keep your fly bumping the bottom. Although i've lost quite a few flies that way catching the always prevalent "rock fish", i've found that is the best way to get a strike in the wintertime, no matter if it's low elevation or high elevation brook trout fishing. One thing about fishing for brookies in the winter, you're almost guaranteed not to see another soul up that high.

Craig
Old 01-03-2008, 03:37 PM

You know, that was part of the problem I'll bet. That little stream was so swift I don't think I ever was really deep. I'll try it again next week maybe and use a little heavier nymph.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:09 AM

Bran,
How did the grouse hunting go, the following weekend? I tried some quail hunting down your way at Fort Pickett. I believe that is close to you. No luck, I did not even see a quail until I gave up and on the drive out I jumped a covey of quail. I am going to give it another shot some where else this coming weekend.

Brandon