Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-09-2008, 12:03 PM

Default Considering a new pair of boots

Hey folks,

I have been considering getting a new pair of wading boots, I have been using the Chota STL for about the last 4 years, I love the fit and really don't have any major complaints so I may either re-sole them or get another pair. But I'm not thrilled with the laces, its not a problem but it seems that I have to replace them about every 6 months because they break (always at an inconvenient time). Anyway I am looking at 2 others and wondering if anyone has any experience with either. The first one that I am looking at is the new Simms Guide boot (I am not even sure if it is available yet), but it really looks good. The other one I might consider is the Korkers, but I am specifically interested in the Guide model. I love the Korker concept, but that BOA lacing system on the Guide has me concerned. I have never actually played with it, but it is a stainless steel wire system. If anyone has ever used, or even handled either of these let me know what you think. I like the synthetics but I don't like the way a lot of them look, some of them look like I should be walking on the moon rather than my local trout stream. Both of these boots use some high-tech materials but maintain something that resembles a traditional look. If you have another favorite let me know why. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:28 PM

Default wading boots

I am partial to the feel of the Weinbrauner Ultimate wading shoe. They feel more like a pair of regular boots(not so Bozo like). I have the studded with the new material. This is my third pair. One problem has been the lace eyelets . They have popped off and Weinbrauner rpaired them and more popped out. Should have replaced the boot. Not real happy with their customer service. I also have the Simms guide boot with aqua stealth. Two years and no complaints, just a little clumsier feeling.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 PM

MM,
The Chotas you speak of have performed well for me for the past few years. I know what you mean about the laces, but a good heavy duty replacement (not the rubberband like stuff) nylon lace has worked much better. I'm sure there are a number of great boots out there, but at the end of many long days of pounding the stones in the park, it's hard to beat the Chotas. I also like the idea that I'm supporting a local company with them. Good luck this year.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:05 PM

My uncle has a pair of the korkers and he loves them. While i haven't actually worn them, i have played around a bit with the boa lacing system and it's great. That same system has been introduced into skiing and snowboarding boots and has caught on big time because everyone loves it so much. I have a pair of simms l2 that have held up pretty well over the course of about a year, though. My next pair will probably be the korkers because the lacing system is just incredible and so much better than regular laces.

Craig
Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up Korkers

I am quite partial to my Korkers for a number of reasons. Fit, comfort, durability, price, and the fact that you're really getting two or more boots for the price of one. I'm intrigued by the new model but as yet have no need to upgrade from my Wetlands model. In fact, just this past summer I ordered the studded felt soles and have been quite pleased.

As the result of a "senior moment", I found myself at the Watauga this Summer without my Korkers. I ended up having to buy a pair of boots locally. I bought the Chota STL boots. They're good boots, but... I cannot wear them for an entire day. They're considerably heavier than my Korkers, they don't drain as well, and they tend to loosen up underwater. I find myself having to cinch them up periodically during the course of an afternoon.

Highly recommend the Korkers and I was thrilled to see that LRO might start carrying them!

Gerry
Old 01-09-2008, 04:22 PM

Default keep it coming

This is one of the reasons I love this board so much, great information from real folks who can speak from personal experience. Keep it coming!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:48 AM

I am not a local and only get to fish a couple of time a year. I mostly fish the backcountry and wet wade. Since I do a considerable amount of hiking I have found that the LLBean models with their stealth soles do the trick for me. Have recently acquired a pair of the Sims Keen wet wading boots that have partial felt soles akin to the Chota Brookies...got these due to a bargain price on ebay and am looking forward to testing them this spring....like the idea of a wider toe box for my fat feet.....
Old 01-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Last season I switched over to a pair of Korkers Streamborn wading boots.
I do a lot of hiking/fishing and I love that I can start with trail soles and simply change out to a different sole when I get to where I want to start fishing. I like that I can carry multiple soles on trip so that I can thoroughly clean the boots and soles especially if I am changing waters with the threat of rock snot and other nasties. They are surprisingly light for how big they look. They are also well constructed with triple stitching and a covered toe (I have a habit of tearing the toes out of boots.) I've used them with waders as well as wet wading with neoprene socks. So far the soles haven't slipped out while I'm doing my thing.
I love 'em.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Forgot one more advantage of the Korkers. I fish a lot of different tailwaters in addition to the streams in the park. With a little discipline, the removable trail/felt sole makes it very easy to guard against inadvertently transporting didymo from stream to stream.

After every trip, I stop at the car wash on the way home. I peel the soles out of my boots and clamp them up on the wall of the bay where you're supposed to clean your car mats. I then pressure wash them (with or without suds) and thoroughly rinse them. I also hit the boots with the pressure wash, too. My son asked me one day how come mine still looked like new while his definitely looked used. Pressure washing hasn't done any harm and I'm pretty sure it's done some good. It only costs about a buck fifty and the truck gets a weekly rinse and hot wax in the bargain!

Gerry
Old 01-10-2008, 07:17 PM

Craig got it right! I love my Korkers!!!!! The BOA lacing system is awesome and they go on without any problems, hold as snug or as loose as I want with a simple twist of the knob, and the switchable soles are great! The soles that come with it are the trail soles and felt soles. Since MTNMAN and I do a lot of hiking to get where we are going to fish, it is nice to have a set of soles just for that purpose and not tear up the felt on a two mile hike! The switching of soles is easy after a couple practice runs. I really want a pair of the aquastealth soles that Korkers sell, but am holding off on biting that one since Paula just order me a 3wt Sage and Orvis reel. Threw in a couple pictures of me below showing off the Korkers (and my legs) on their maiden voyage. Needles to say, I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Korkers Guide Boot. They are worth every penny. Let us know what you decide!