Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-10-2008, 01:25 PM

Default Just the Basics:Flie selection for Smokies

Ok, i'm new to the game but a pretty good fly tyer/tier TIE ER. Man that doesn't look right.

Anyway, I know this has probably been beaten to death but I can't find a thread on it so could someone just give me the short list of flies that I should try to have in my box come spring!

Right now i'm concentrating on:

Adams
Cahills
Elk Hair Caddis
Some nymphs

What I need to know are what size and colors I should concentrate on and any that I might have missed! I fish the Elk down here in South Tenn but I know the bugs can be different up smokies way. Any help is already appreciated!!

God Bless
pockets
Old 01-10-2008, 02:43 PM

You are definitely missing the Yellow and/or Orange Stimulators in size 16 and 14. Great on their own and great to suspend nymphs from.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Pockets,

Your list is a good starting point. I'm sure there will be some folks reply here with a lot more knowledge and experience than me. I'm guessing there will be some mention of Quill Gordons and Blue Quills if your talking early spring. I don't really have any experience in the park in early spring, but it seems like I can always catch a few fish with the following list:

Dries:

Parachute Adams sz. 12-18
Stimulators: sz. 12-16

Nymphs:

Tellicos, Prince and Pheasant Tails sz. 12-18

This is a very small list, but I like to try and carry one small fly box with not tons of choices. The more simple I keep it the better I usually do. I do always make sure I have a few big nymphs like a Helgramite in size 4-6 to toss in the deeper holes.

Now lets see what the folks that know a lot more than me have to say.

Matt
Old 01-10-2008, 02:51 PM

I catch a majority of my fish in the park on the following nymphs/wet flies...

Tellico nymphs #10-#14
BHPT #12-#22
GRHE #12-#20 (really like these in the smaller sizes)
Prince nymph #10-#14
Copper Johns #12-#18 (mainly #14)
Perhaps a few softhackles as well...

Any of the above can be tied with or without a bead depending on what your preference is...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM

I can't believe I left out the GRHE. That is definitely in my box as well.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:55 PM

I'm soaking all of this up guys! Thanks so much!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 02:56 PM

scflyfisher: You from S.C. ? I grew up in N.C. but spent half my life (it feels like) fishing and hunting in S.C.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:59 PM

Upstate S.C.

Not born and raised, just for the past 9 years. I haven't done any hunting in S.C. I do a little trout fishing in S.C. and some bass fishing in my parents pond, but most of my fishing is western N.C and east TN.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM

This is an area where you can definitely go overboard if you are not careful. We all seem to want to buy/tie more and more different patterns. The truth is and you might think this is boring news, but you really don't need much in the smokies. Here's my list:

March: Quill Gordon: Match it with an Adams or any Wullff style grayish fly.
some early black or brown stone for nymphs or a BH prince.
April: If the Gordon's, are done switch to a Sulphur for lower elevation streams. Any yellowish may fly will work.
Late April and into May: Sulphurs and Yellow Sally's; Use a Yellow Stimulator or Yelow EHC. Yellow Palmers will also work. You can basically match both the Little Yellow Stone and Sulphurs with the same pattern. All you need to do is to alter the size of the fly.

May until October: Yellow Stimulator, or an EHC yellow, or Yellow Palmer is all you need until late October when you can begin switching to Orange stimulators, or palmers, or EHC.

Very Simple as you can see. Nothing fancy and you don't need to fiddle around with tons of different flies. If you like to study your fly box I'll fish my Yellow Stimi.

For nymphs you can go with Princes, GRHE and such in different color and size . Pheasant tails seem to work well also.

You can also swing some softh hackles such as Partridge and Yellow but I rather do them on a tailwater.

My two cents.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:24 PM

When I could see them my year round go to fly used to be a Ginger Quill in 12-16...have caught trout on these from mid april through september....another tried and true is a tellico nymph....once the weather warms up another favorite is a leadwing coachman wet fly.....late summer and early October I have fished for a week using nothing but an EHC in yellow or brown....during the summer months a large terrestrial can make the fish crazy, especially in larger runs where there is some vegetation around....and then again there are times when there is nothing in my box they want anything to do with...why they call it fishing.