Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-10-2008, 04:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

One quick addition. In early spring you might also want to try a March brown wet fly swung across and down. Size 14 - 20. Pretty good in the park.

Gerry
Old 01-10-2008, 05:00 PM

uhhh, hello, did everyone forget BWOs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM

Travis!

I didn't really, but I have never fished real good on a hatch in the park for BWO's. If I see BWO's I have had okay success with a nymph. I'm probably missing out on BWO's but they are not much of an event for high altitude fishing. Down low I guess it's a different matter. I guess I'm giving you half rigth. LOL.

We missed you at FFF the other day.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:30 PM

I second what most people are saying on this thread - a few basic patterns, fished correctly, will produce in the park. While I haven't been fishing the park for very long, I have found the various Adams parachute patterns to be the "go-to" fly...first the standard, then the yellows as the year wears on. I would also add a similar, Wulff-type pattern for the early Spring - the Mr Rapidan, which was originally designed to imitate Quill Gordons, although I was catching brookies on it over Thanksgiving. With its yellow posts, it's a bit easier to see in choppy water than other patterns.

As for nymphs, I love just about any form of a Prince.

Anyway, I have a lot of confidence in those flies, which means I'm paying attention when I fish, expecting a strike at any time.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:04 PM

I'm creating a file from your comments (i'm a geek, forgive me) and I agree that simpler is better! In the military I told new guys to take all they thought they might need. When they got back get rid of everything they didn't need (except obvious stuff like first aid and ammo) and eventually you'll end up with the basics!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM

Don't forget the Green Weenie and Barbie doll weenie. Purist may scoff but they have saved many a trip.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:36 PM

creating a file...... this leads me to something I've thought about before.

attn Byron: I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a fly pattern archive on this site. a sort of online library of fly patterns. it's something that we could all contribute to, and could access anytime. for each fly, people could also post a comment, tying tips, fishing methods, observations, etc.

Hans, sorry I couldn't make it, I wanted to be there. I only work 3 nights a weeks. tuesday is one of them. please continue to keep us informed as to what's going on, as I will be interested in joining and could possibly still help out w/ cleanups and what not.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttas67 View Post
creating a file...... this leads me to something I've thought about before.

attn Byron: I've always thought it would be a good idea to have a fly pattern archive on this site. a sort of online library of fly patterns. it's something that we could all contribute to, and could access anytime. for each fly, people could also post a comment, tying tips, fishing methods, observations, etc.
Shameless plug here!

If any of you haven't yet, I would highly recommend spending some time with Byron's online catalog. He and Daniel have done an outstanding job there -- particularly with their fly section. Daniel has done considerable research here and the fly listings are quite informative. The photography is excellent (as usual) and I must confess, I've used it from time to time to get a really good look at a bug I wanted to try my hand at tying without having to go out and buy another book of fly patterns.

I agree it would be really cool to have a fly tying archive complete with photos and recipes... maybe an extension of the new photo board?? But in the meantime, you can learn a lot from the online catalog.

Not that any of us would ever want to make your life harder or anything...

Gerry
Old 01-10-2008, 11:11 PM

From first of May when I started FF through October, I caught 95% of all the trout landed in the park on a PA (mostly #16, yellow in summer and standard on into the fall) and a yellow stimulator. As has been discussed in several threads, finding a relatively small selection of flies that you have confidence will land fish is worth more than the largest selection you can carry. I've tried a number of different patterns and keep coming back to PA. I'm working hard on beginning to use nymphs since November and will be trying it some more tomorrow.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-11-2008, 11:30 AM

I have been tying a lot of Blue Wing olives sizes 14-20 with different color bodies and some with parachutes. Elk hair caddis with the same sizes and different threads. You should see get the new book that Roger Lowe put out on his favorite Smokey Mtn fly patterns. I got this right after Christmas and havn't put it down yet. It is about $20 and well worth it.