Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Default 1 Piece of Equipment?

I touched on this in another thread, but I'm just curious what others would say. Hypothetical question. If you had to give up all your gear and replace it with something different what would be the 1 piece of equipment that you would be least likely to part with and why?
For me, my Cloudveil Crystal Creek Wading Pants. While I mostly wanted them for hot summer days on the South Holston they are almost custom made for mountain streams when it is too cool to wet wade or if you don't like to wet wade. Aside from that they are incredible comfortable, I forget that I even have waders on. They are easy to get on and off because of a zip fly, which also makes some other things easier as well. And with 2 front and 1 rear zip pocket I not only have easy access to my car keys, wallet, and cell phone but I am confident that they will stay dry.
How about everyone else?
Old 01-10-2008, 11:51 PM

MtnMike,

You are a brave man to trust zippers to keep anything dry. I have used and to some extent abused countless "waterproof" zippers and the only thing that I have confidence in saying is that zippers are guaranteed to do one thing well . . . leak. I barely trust zip-loc bags to keep anything of value dry.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:55 AM

I'd have to say it would be my wading staff. With a bad knee like I got, I'm always paranoid of slipping on a slimy rock! It would definantly ruin my day/week/month... if I did! Since I got the wading staff, i feel a little more confident. It's just having that something there to lean on that makes the differance I guess.

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:03 AM

Drew,

I hear you. Truth been known, I've only been in up to the zippers a coulple of times. When I say I have confidence that they will stay dry it is for 2 reasons, one I'm not going to just stand around with them submerged, but primarily I know where they are and I feel as if I can get to them without running the risk of dropping them. I have dropped way to many things, including cell phone trying to fish them out of my vest. I actually prefer to never take a cell phone with me, but some times I really need to and it is so easy to just drop my hand to the pocket and take it out. But you are right I wouldn't trust any zipper to be truly waterproof.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Equipment Reply

The one piece of equipment I would hate to give up is my line. Although very ineffective, the possibility still remains that fish could be caught without a rod and reel using only the line w/ fly. Park fishing would be more productive than tailwater, I suppose.

If you mean what you would not give up excluding rod/reel/line/fly rig, it would have to be my stats. There are very few elements of preparation through fly extraction that the hemostats are not used when I'm fishing. I guess the combination of beat up hands that aren't as nimble as they once were and aging eyes can take credit for my dependency on the stats.

Interesting question, I look forward to more responses.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 AM

If I was going to replace everything, the one thing I would want to keep is my Superfine Tight Loop (one of the "old" model Superfines) which would be hard to find now. It is a sweet rod for fishing in the Smokies and I would hate to give it up...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-17-2008, 12:48 PM

The one thing I would hate to replace with something different would be my tool & tippet lanyard. I feel lost without it. It goes with me for hike-in trips, float, and every kind of wading fishing to the occasional pond. I can hang a few flies on it, grap the rod & reel and I'm set.