Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-10-2008, 03:20 PM

Default The Drought

Posted these over on my blog but thought I would share here as well. These photos are of a favorite run somewhere on LR (shhhh....). The first picture was taken during some of the worst part of the drought back in September 2007. The next pictures are all various perspectives of the same spot on Christmas day, 2007.

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com

Last edited by David Knapp; 01-10-2008 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: Added link
Old 01-10-2008, 04:31 PM

What a difference 6" of water makes!
Old 01-10-2008, 06:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

It ain't over yet... but those streams sure look a lot better!!

Gerry
Old 01-10-2008, 07:26 PM

I tell you what the rains we have been getting in Nashville Is going a long way to relieving the drought. Driving home from Franklin the Harpth was out of its banks in several spots and the are forcasting rain and snow for the next week. I hpe it rains and snows in th Mountians.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Plateau Angler,
Great pics, thanks for posting them. Seeing the two conditions side by side is interesting. If there is a good spin to be put on the low water, it really gives you an appreciation for all the various, and often overlooked holding places available to fish when the river is at normal levels.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Griffing View Post
Plateau Angler,
Great pics, thanks for posting them. Seeing the two conditions side by side is interesting. If there is a good spin to be put on the low water, it really gives you an appreciation for all the various, and often overlooked holding places available to fish when the river is at normal levels.
The low water WAS great for checking out some usually deep water to see what kind of structure it contained. Gotta figure out where those big browns usually hide...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-11-2008, 01:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
The low water WAS great for checking out some usually deep water to see what kind of structure it contained. Gotta figure out where those big browns usually hide...
I tried that during the early stages of the drought last summer. Problem was, when I went back to a few of my favorite runs around Metcalf Bottoms, those infernal tubers had moved all the structure to try and channel more water into one narrow little stream! That stretch around Metcalf in particular doesn't look a whole lot like it did a couple years ago when I was waist deep above the bridge trying to clear ice out of my guides

Gerry
Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM

Thumbs up Cosby Creek

It sure does make a big differance. I don't have any photos of Cosby creek during the drought (maybe ijsouth has some?) But this is what it looked like on New Years Day 2008. It sure is good to see the water in there now. The spot in the first photo was almost completely dry at one point.

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishNlady View Post
I don't have any photos of Cosby creek during the drought (maybe ijsouth has some?)
Sure don't...sort of wish I had, if for no other reason than to use to pinpoint areas to fish when the water came up. I was up in August on two separate weekends, looking at property - the second one, I bought my land in Cosby, then fished it for about 5 hours...it was the day after a heavy rain, so the stream was fishable, although still low. When we came up for a few days in October, we pulled into the hikers' parking lot, walked over to the edge, and just listened - the stream was barely audible, and we turned around and didn't even try to fish it, so I never got to see it at its worst. I know that large falls that is below the campground was almost totally dry.

It was looking a lot better when I fished it over Thanksgiving, and it looks even better now. Can't wait until Spring.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 PM

Went up today and Little River was kind of scary high. The spot that I wanted to try with my newly-acquired wolly buggers, was way to fast to fish so I didn't even try it. But I did go back over to Laurel Creek (LRO suggestion) and hooked one little bow. Me and nymphs still haven't come to an understanding. Not a lot of catching but it was good just to be out on the stream again for a little bit. Can't wait till I can pull out the dries again.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com