Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-14-2008, 10:15 AM

Question Personal pontoon craft

A friend of mine has decided to buy a pontoon craft and the more he talks about it the more intrigued I am about them. We have always used john boats and canoes for fishing. But as we get a little older the idea of something lighter and more "Packable and portable" seems nice. How do they stack up for the tailwaters around here? Are they more stable? They seem like they would be. Any advice before I decide to fork over the cash for a couple of them? Thanks in advance.

Connie

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:04 PM

They're a blast, i've owned 3 of them, down to two now that i sold one & bought a yak, i like it even more
They are very stable craft for sure, i'd recommend at least a 9'r for tailwaters, i like the lower style toons myself, they don't catch as much wind, of course you're sitting closer to the water that way. Think about your weight(rated), buy one that will accomadate a cooler & extra belongings plus your body weight.
7 1/2' oars at the minimum for easy rowing & more control, rear deck for sure & even one with a pullout casting deck, i've stod on my seat & fished from mine(not recommended for those at home ), anchor systems are nice, with built-in puleys & such.
I won't even go into brands, there are numerous ones out there & great companies to boot. Good luck on your quest.

Grumpy
Old 01-14-2008, 02:48 PM

Wink Huh!!!

It sounds like Grumpy was able to narrow it down to just one or two options.
=)
Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 PM

I've started shopping around. Thanks for the advice Grumpy. BTW, what are "Pontoon safety chambers"? I noticed that some have these and some don't. I'm sure they are something that is good but what exactly do they do?

- Herbert Hoover, devoted angler and thirty-first President of the United States.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishNlady View Post
I've started shopping around. Thanks for the advice Grumpy. BTW, what are "Pontoon safety chambers"? I noticed that some have these and some don't. I'm sure they are something that is good but what exactly do they do?

keeps ya from sinking should you puncture it

Grumpy
Old 01-21-2008, 12:12 PM

Well I bought two pontoon boats. These are really handy too. They came with a back pack that the whole boat,oars, pump, frame, and pontoons can be folded up and packed in. They have the safety chambered pontoons (a biggy with me since I can't swim worth a hoot) They have lots of storage space for gear, food, drinks, etc. and they are not as hard as I thought to assemble or break down and repack. It seems to be very durable material they are made of. I was a little skeptical about how tough they would be but these seem to be very solidly built. I'm anxious to try them out as soon as we get a little bit warmer weather. The backpack also has loops to hang your fly rod and elastic ties so you can roll up your waders and carry them on the pack too. With everything it weighs 42 pounds. I didn't think I could handle that but after trying it I found out I was stronger than I though I was! It is designed so the weight is well balanced and sits comfortably on your back. Opens up a whole new world for fishing remote areas!