Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 PM

Default Looking for a specialty fly box

I'm getting ready for the next season of chasing Mr. Smallmouth around the local rivers and I am wanting to consolidate my go to flies into 1 specific flybox for my streamers and poppers. I currently carry them in two separate boxes in 5 divided sections. I am looking at the "Cliffs Bugger Beast" or the "Beast Jr". models. I like the precut slats to hold the big poppers in place. Does anyone on here use these or have any other recommendations? Does LRO sale these in house?, there not in the online catalog.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 PM

I'm interested in this answer also. When I was shopping for a box for my poppers they did not have one specifically for them this summer. They had the divided boxes where they layed loose in each section. I was having a devil of a time organizing them this summer into something easy to use. I ended up using a cheap fly box that had foam and just had a large/high compartment. It was just a cheap Plano box. I'm going to do a search on the ones you mentioned for future reference.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 AM

The Cliff's boxes are great. I personally use several Beast Jr. boxes. One dedicated to permit, one to bonefish and one to redfish. They hold flies very well even when being beaten to death in the boat and the foam seems to be very durable. The Beast series are definitely boxes for the boat or car as they are much too big to carry on your person in anything less than a backpack. They have a good amount of space both for storing flies and also in regards to vertical clearance. I can not recommend them enough, great boxes.

Drew
Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM

Default Cliff Boxes

Troutman,

The Cliff boxes are not something we have in stock. We can order them though. If you want me to get one for you to see just let me know.

thanks!

Daniel
Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 PM

Thanks Drew and Daniel. I'm gonna have to take some measurements to see if the beast jr. box will fit in my over shoulder bag that I use. If that doesn't work I think the Cliffs Bugger Barn might. I would like to have all my poppers on one side and the streamers on the opposite without any of them getting smashed. I hate to carry around too much stuff! I'm ready to to get back to the Bronzebacks!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:15 PM

Trotman, That looks like a very light fly rod for such a nice small mouth, What is it? That Had to be a blast.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:12 PM

Vern, its a Lochmor-X (made in Scotland) 7'6" 4wt 4 piece graphite pack rod. It one of only 2 graphites I still own. I usually only carry it as a backup rod for hike -in trips but I still like to fish it every once in a while, I really like the grip and it will handle bigger fish.......

Old 01-15-2008, 11:32 PM

sweet! gotta love them dang smallmouths...top of my list as well!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 PM

Another testament to the ability of Cliff Boxes to hold flies. This past week I flew to New Orleans to chase the large redfish that invade the marshes of the area. With me I took one of the Beast Jr. boxes in which I had a bunch of heavy, big flies. On both flights, going and coming, not a single fly moved. These boxes endured TSA screening and airlines baggage handlers. If there is a tougher test, I don't know one.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:25 PM

I found a local shop that had them in stock. They are very nice boxes. They were too big to carry in my bag, but I would think anyone using a drifter, personal pontoon, or flats boat, they would be ideal.
I did end up buying 2 of the standard bugger barn boxes and really like how the slit foam holds the poppers and streamers in place. A good quality American made product at a decent price.