Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 PM

Talking Montana!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're going to Montana. This July for about a week. The lodge is 320 lodge on the Gallatin River. I was wondering if any of you have a guide to recommend or what flies I should bring. I know it is early but I just excited.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Default Montana

Kentucky Kid, Sounds like a good time is ahead for you. I have been three times and it is wonderful. Getting a guide will put you on to fish. If you will be fishing on your own most of the time, as I did, here are some ideas for you. Definitely fish Yellowstone despite the traffic and tourist, which you will be also. I like the northeast section; Slough Creek, Pebble Creek, Lamar, Soda Butte. Fewer tourists also. A little hiking can get you into better water. Spend the money to get on one of the Spring Creeks;Armstrong, Nelson, DePuys near Livingston. An unique challenge. The big rivers out west can be intimidating without some local advice. If I had to choose between a float trip with lots of big fish or a guided wade trip, I would stay on foot. Let the guide introduce you to some good water that you can return to fish on your own. Lots of info on this site from people who travel out west. For flies I would bring; Padams, BHPT, bitch creek, hoppers, ants, elk hair caddis, BWO, soft hackles, wooly buggers and the local hot patterns. Hatches of caddis and PMD's seemed most prolific when I was there. You will want to buy some flies locally and pick up some info at the shop. Bring at least two rods. Maybe this is a lot more than you wanted to hear, but you will have a great time. Without a guide, fishing can be difficult. Don't get discouraged if you have a fishless day. You will have another day with lots of fish. Good Luck, Monk
Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Kentucky,
Obviously listen to your guide if you get one. I tend to like to figure things out for myself, but that doesn't work too well sometimes. Anyway, if you are fishing on your own: In July you only need two flies. In the evenings use an olive elk hair caddis, and during the heat of a sunny day, use a large deer hair or Joe's hopper. Both types of hoppers work well, but if you use the Joe's hopper, make sure the wings aren't covering the body too much, the more yellow the better.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:35 PM

Default Montana Reply

Blue Ribbon Flies, Craig Mathews is a good outfit in West Yellowstone. The Gallatin usually fishes better in the mid to late day as the water stays pretty cool. Had a great time on the Gallatin as well as the Lamar. The Madison is also very convenient.

Hal
Old 01-17-2008, 01:39 PM

Talking Lucky Kentucky

My uncle lives off the Galatin and I visited for a couple weeks 4 years in a row. He lives just inside the park across the street from the Gallatin. I will call him and get his suggestions on what flies to bring and some small streams to fish. I know that the areas that we could walk to always produced. Are you wanting to only fish on the Gallatin? or are you interested in some smaller streams? Check out www.marshmadness.net Capt. Marty lives in the Gulf Coast but also guides in Montana in the Gallatin region. Check and see if he is available, I recommend him. He also built me one of the best custom 5wt rods you will ever see.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 PM

Thanks alot for all the advice. We will be there the first week so we might get to fish a solmon fly hatch. We will fish other creeks other than the Gallatin. The gallatin is just the river by the lodge. Also are the licenses very expensive in the park?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:37 PM

The park licenses are reasonable. It is $35 for a season one and i think they sell them for 10 day intervals for $10. Montana and Wyoming both have similar deals.

I got season lic last year and MT was $75, WY was %80 and the park was $35 (maybe $30)

You got to take a day and look at the park. Fishing is good but take a day to enjoy the park. The Gyser baisns and other features are just too good to pass up.

Butte Irish
Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

I checked with MT FWP and they said $55 for a 10 day out of state license or $70 for a out of state year license. I picked up the year license for 08'.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:55 PM

Default fly selection

Here is what my Uncle wrote back to me about his fly selections.
He also said that he has tried some blue dry fly patterns and wore out the rainbows. They don't have many hatches that are blue, so they aren't used to them and eat them up.

"The flies I use on the Gallatin include elk hair caddis, trude, prince nymphs with bead heads, wooly buggers and assorted soft hackle dark streamers. All are about 16-18 in size. In late summer when it's hot I use some hoppers and ant patterns."

He lives just inside the park boundary across the road from the Gallatin. The river that I fished was Squaw Creek. There is also a great hiking trail to the top of the ridge. I takes about 2-3 hours, but is well worth it. We hiked with an archeologists and he showed us fossils in the rocks that were only salt-water species. Kinda neat!!

Have fun and takes lots of pictures.