Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Little Pigeon in Greenbriar Area

Howdie one and all.

Took the wife up to smokies last weekend to stay up @ Buckberry Creek Lodge and she talked me into visiting the arts and crafts community up 321 towards Greenbriar. Turned out I discovered some nice looking water on the Little Pigeon inside the park at the greenbriar entrace. Most of my fishing in the smokies has been on the little river watershed. Was wondering if any of you folks fish that piece of water very often and wondered if fishermen fair well up there. We drove up the gravel road along the river Sunday and the water looked like it was in excellent shape and even with a little cooler weather that day I saw alot of beautiful pools I wish I could have fished but that of course was not the days objective. I've seen several post on fishing Gatlinburg area and the motortrail up airport road but I've not heard much about this area.

Thanks,
Chad
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM

Chad, that is a great area to fish. Plenty of rainbows and as you go up higher, lots of brookies. The fishing can be excellent but that watershed probably tends to run a bit cooler than say LR. I like to fish there in the summer months on into fall when some other waters are on the warm side...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 PM

Thanks for the reply David. Also, your blog site is great. Maybe one of these days we Crossville fellas will meet up on the water. I like to camp & fish when I've got time. I know you camp up @ Elkmont quite a bit. Do you know of any camping sites near the above mentioned stretch of water? My trail maps aren't showing much near that vascinity either backcountry or imporved but folks have pointed out places to me before that aren't on my maps of the park. Thanks in advance!

Chad
Old 01-17-2008, 05:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

there is a back country site up injun creek where it intersects grapeyard ridge trail...it is about 2 1/2 easy miles from the ranger station.....and you will see the steam injun in the creek.
sam
Old 01-17-2008, 05:38 PM

Chad, I didn't realize you were from Crossville as well. Shoot me an email if you want to fish together sometime... I usually just stay at Elkmont. The trick is to get up early and get through Gatlinburg before all the tourists come out... It is actually not that far from Elkmont to Greenbrier.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 01-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the info fellas.

David, I'll be sure to shoot you that email.

Sam, I appreciate the info on that camp site. Sounds like I'm going to have to try it out this summer/fall. Maybe even this spring if my hunch about having a lower spring run off this year is right. Just a theory but I'm thinking theres probably not going to be as much snow melt up high this spring if the precipitation trends do not change, although one good heavy winter storm with leveled out cooler temps could change that possibility, and April is still a good ways off.

I wonder if the generaly cooler temps David was talking about are do more to a possible larger numbers of springs feeding that stream, similar to Abrams, or if its due simply to the higher elevations associated with that drainage? If its more due to the spring creeks I'm thinking it will have warmer temps then others in winter and cooler in summer which is what usually occurs on Abrams.

Thans again,
Chad
Old 01-17-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Good memories in Greenbriar

My Brother and I fished Greenbriar last April... First official fly fishing trip...caught 8 'Bows within 1 hour (First fish on Fly, First trout ever!) followed by 2 Brookies farther up the road in a few hours later. Ran into some really nice folks, had a wonderful time. Went there on the advice of many folks in this forum. Will return given any chance at all.

By the way, after the Bows and Brookies...finished the grand slam with a lil Brown below Metcalf Bottoms that afternoon. Needless to say...
Been Gut Hooked ever since
Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 AM

Greenbriar or as the proper name is Middle Prong of Little Pigeon River, is a free stone stream which drains from the higher elevations of Mt Guyot. I don't think it has any kind of springs. It is heavily influenced by precipitation.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 PM

Well fellas, just talking with you guys has made my cabin fever even worse. Seriously, thanks alot for all the great info I see you guys give out on the board. I started fishing the Cumby alot last year due to the droubt situation and learned alot on that river, some days fishes alot like the Caney other days/times of the year it fishes alot different, but I'm hopeing to find myself back in the mountains more this year. Alot of fly fishermen up there using a mix bag of techniques and the folks I met showed me some local fly variations that work great up there. See alot more guys tossing streamers and stuff and alot of the "older" generation guys just seem to love swinging wet flies and soft hackles. That technique I hadn't used much until I started fishing up there & still trying to get the hang of it.
Well, I just looked outside and the sun is shinging & I've got a day off work with out call. I think I'm heading to LRO to burn some gift cards I got for Christmas. Anybody need me to pick em up something! Just kiding.

See ya on the river!
Chad