Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 PM

Default First backwoods/fly fishing adventure

Hi everyone. I am a long time reader - first time poster - thanks in advance for the tips and advice.
I have never fished in the Smokies. I am planning a mid-spring "hike in" fishing trip with one of my buddies. I am relatively new to fly fishing and would like to know if anyone can recommend an itinerary for us. We would like to get away from the masses, aren't afraid to pack in 5 to 6 miles and definitely want to get into fish. Any advice you can give on streams, trails, flies or just general techniques would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Just a quick welcome to the board!! You've certainly picked the right question/topic to start off with. I'm sure you're gonna get a ton of replies from this board.

Gerry
Old 01-17-2008, 10:45 PM

PTF,

Take a look at the attached threads on Deep Creek. I haven't been but these posts make it sound like a great target for hiking/fishing.

upper Deep Creek and Deep Creek Report (above CS#53) 9-23

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-18-2008, 05:38 AM

Honestly, it's hard to pick just one stream to make a trip to. My backpacking partner and I have tried to come up with a list of places we wanted to go this year in the past and we always come up with a long list of places to go, more than we can do in one year. You really can't go wrong picking any stream, and with you saying you will go 5-6 miles back, the possibilities really are endless.

Deep creek is a good choice, but if you're really wanting to stray from the crowds, you may want to try forney creek or eagle creek. Eagle doesn't get much pressure at all since it's so close to hazel, and forney (if i remember correctly) has about 40 acres of virgin timber at it's headwaters so the brook trout fishing up there could be outstanding. Don't know for sure but i'll find out later this year as i think i am going to try and make a trip up there.

Anyways, it's hard to narrow down one choice. Maybe if you tell us what you are looking for in a fishing destination we could help you out a little more. Hope this helped.

Craig
Old 01-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Default Lots of Options

I want to fish Eagle Creek this year, but getting there is either a 5+ mile hike each way to the mouth of the stream or a $50 ferry ride across the lake ($5/mile....). If you have the time and the energy, it could be a great trip.

As Craig mentioned Forney is another great option. Its about 5miles to campsite 71, and 72 is only 1.2 miles further, with very little change in gradient. Coming in from the top (Clingman's Dome Rd and Forney Ridge Trail) to campsite 68 is shorter (3.5 miles) but is much steeper (2000' elevation change), but could be great brookie water.

Noland Creek is another possibility, but I'm not sure how good the fishing really is. I have been there a couple of times and have not done as well as other places in the park, but the trail is great and the stream is beautiful.

As Charlie mentioned, Deep Creek is a great place as well. The stream is pretty overgrown up high, but the fishing can be outstanding. I would stay below campsite #53, it was in pretty bad shape last year. There are numerous campsites on Deep Creek and while it gets more pressure in spots than Eagle and Forney, its still pretty remote in the upper and middle sections.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:03 PM

I was in deep creek in early november and we stayed for two nights at bryson's place. Now granted it was early november, but the first night we were by ourselves and the second night a couple people on horseback rode in. For this being the most popular campsite on the river, i would have figured to have more company. I think that if you put in the effort to go that far back, more than likely you're not going to run into too many people, let alone fisherman.

As far as noland goes, i've heard that fishing was pretty good starting at about 2 miles from the trailhead. Not many people fish it, though, so i don't know alot of information about it as i've never been there.

I also think that if you choose to go to hazel, you would be perfectly fine if you hiked in to the upper parts towards bone valley and proctor. Most people just fish the lower mile or two and that's it. Even in the warmer months, i don't know that you would run into any other fisherman, most of them can't pass up the lower stretches.

Craig
Old 01-19-2008, 04:31 PM

Give sites 23 or 24 a try on the TN side of the park....23 is a little farther up but once you get there the likelihood of other people is less....from 23 you can fish up the Goshen Prong...once in there not likely to see anyone for the rest of the day...or take the right hand fork of Fish Camp Prong....no trail access from point of campsite so once in your on your own....above 24 there is plenty of brookie water...up the extreme left fork there is a vertical waterfall that guarantees pure brookie habitat for as high as you fish...at 23 you can start fishing at the campsite and score a slam without changing water....good luck.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Administrator

Ditto everything Rog1 said.

Paula
Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the information! Planning this sort of trip can be daunting for someone new to the area. I know that it can be hit-or-miss, but what sort of patterns should I stock up on for a mid spring trip. We are now looking at early May.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:17 PM

Default Hey, PTF!

Check out Fish Camp Prong ? in the Smoky Mountain Fishing section for another hike/camp/fish opportunity. The hits keep rolling!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com