Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-19-2008, 03:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default Tellico river 1-19

Well decided to head up to tellico today and try my luck. Started out above Green Cove and fished probably about a 1/4 mile stretch of water. Caught one nice fat wild bow about 10 inches or so, and that was it. Had a few bumps that may have been fish, but who knows for sure. It was fun to fish in the mountains, and in the falling snow. I did try the delayed harvest towards the afternoon. But to be honest, I haven;t caught alot of those stockers all fall. I'm wondering how spread out they are. Do you have to fish the big pools near the parking spots to catch them..?? I have never caught a stocked fish up at tellico out of a small hole far from a parking pull off. Now i did hear that alot of the stocked fish had a tuff summer up there, and they actually quit stocking for a while up there all together. So maybe this spring, when they resume heavy stocking, the fish will spread out a little more. Anyway, it was a great day. No where near as cold as forcasted, and I didnt go fishless!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 AM

Hi 2Weight,
I have fished the Tellico since I was a teenager (too many years to think about). If you are up for a little work, try fishing the areas hidden from the road. Park, and fight your way through the heavy vegetation. You will find very good water and areas that get low pressure. A shorter rod helps due to the tight coverage.
Good luck,
Steve
Old 01-21-2008, 05:59 AM

Default Tellico

I have fished the tellico area many times and have always done relatively well catching stocked fish on a fly. Not fished it much during winter months but I have late into the fall. Areas away from the road can be hidden gems. Stocked fish also generally like bigger flies. You will have success with the stocked fish especially if your dedicated enough to to hit the river in January. Hang in there and good luck.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:54 AM

Has anyone been up to Bald River lately? I would bet it would be worth the hike due to te recent rainfall.