Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Default waders

I have outgrown my current waders and I am considering the Cloudveil wading pants. How often do you really wade deep enough to need chest waders? I can't remember the last time I was in above the 'boys'.. and the pants have got to be cooler and easlier on/off.

Any reviews of the waders or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Default Just wait and see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post
How often do you really wade deep enough to need chest waders?
Usually when I don't have on chest waders

Seriously though, with the cost issue being marginal, and opposing buckle snaps used to secure after rolling the chesters down to waisters...I went for Orvis Silver Label's a few years ago and have not had a bit of trouble on warmer days.

Curiously...the last time I waded deep enough to need chestwaders...was the day I had 'em rolled down to my waist
Stupid is as stupid does
Old 01-21-2008, 04:20 PM

Bullwinkle,

Pants or chesters depends mostly on where you fish. The Park and local tailwaters offer some suprisingly deep pockets. I can't tell you how many times I've been walking along thinking that it's not too deep when WHOA I'm taking on water. Also, too many times I've scoped out the best spot to cast from and guess what - it's usually one of the deepest spots around. That's when I'm glad to be able to roll 'em up, straps over the shoulders and elbows out of the water. Plus, all the extra pockets are nice for storing extra gear if you don't want to wear a vest. But if you fish a lot of farm ponds or stay close to the bank, pants may serve you fine.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:58 PM

Default I Love Mine!

Bullwinkle,

I have the Cloudveil Crystal Creek Wading Pant and I absolutely love them. I have commented on these waders twice in recent threads one started by donwinn under "sprung a leak - which wader?" and after mentioning in that thread that my Cloudveil wading pants are the one item I would never want to replace with another piece of equipment I started a thread entitled "1 piece of equipment?" just to see if anyone else had a favorite piece of gear that they wouldn't want to do without? I am computer stupid or I would have just provided a link to those 2 threads but they are both fairly recent threads. I don't mind telling you again that I couldn't be happier. I have used them exclusively for about 6 months and I can only remember re-routing my intended wading path once because of deep water. Now I confess that I had sort-of monitored my wading habits for a few months and I realized that I rarely wade much deeper than mid-thigh and almost never above the waist. I was always wearing my chest-highs as waist-highs and can only remember rolling them up to cross the river on one occassion. I can tell you I have found the wading pants to be much cooler than rolled down chest waders not to mention far more comfortable. I have never been in a hurry to get out of these waders. I use them mostly on the South Holston where I do a lot of sight fishing in shallow water but I have worn them in the mountains when the water turned a little too cool for wet wading in the fall. My opinion seems to go against everyone else in that I have not felt a disadvantage in not being able to wade deep. I do have a pair of chest waders if I ever feel like I am going to go into deeper water, but I'm sure they will be collecting dust at the house when that day comes. I suggest that you observe your own wading habits and go from there. I have not been disappointed!
Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 PM

Default Waist highs

The only time I wear chest waders in the Smokies is in the spring when it's colder and higher. From mid-April on I either wet wade or wear waist highs.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 01-22-2008, 05:44 PM

I very seldom wear waders, when the trout are rising most of the time you can wet wade. Sometimes I tend to push the limit, I had someone i know come down and meet me at the water and said that he knew it was me because I was the only fool wet wadding in April. I always come up in march and that is the only time I wear chest wadders.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:02 PM

When I first started to wade the Park there was a closed season...5/15 - 9/15....and most of my fishing was limited to summer time....later, when I could drive myself I began to push the envelope to early part of season..have wet waded when there was ice on my rod and line but have never really needed waders....the down side to these things is how far you have to carry them when fishing the backcountry which is where my favorite waters are.....usually find that a pair of nylon fishing pants work fine....light and dry quickly on the walk out.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 AM

guess I should have mentioned most fishing is AuSable in MI and small streams in PA and WV. I almost always fish alone so I try to use common sense when wading. I think I'll give the pants a shot.. I just went with the new Korkers and I think these wading pants should pair up nicely. My Patagonia waders and boots will move to back-up status.

thanks for your comments
Old 01-24-2008, 11:43 AM

I have been wanting some new waders this year also. My Simms have been going strong for 10 years now and definitely would buy them again. I've been thinking about the Rivertek model. Anyone have these and do you like them? Do they convert easily from waist to chest?