Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-21-2008, 05:48 PM

Default Spine of Time

Has anyone run into Arby Mulligan or Exie Sopwith while fishing the mountains? Or maybe you have seen the spirit of Harry Middleton roaming around up there. If you have not read On the Spine of Time or The Earth is Enough, I would recommend them for your winter reading. I am a big Middleton fan. Who knows now how much his writing was dramatized. I want to believe all these characters were real and just as he described them. Regardless, he sure knew how to write.

I think Bryon has a copy of On the Spine of Time on the book shelves in the store.

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

Last edited by donwinn; 01-21-2008 at 07:06 PM..
Old 01-21-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Thanks Donwinn

I was in Dallas last year killing time, and got into a discussion with the Fly guy at the Bass Pro shop, who recommended Middleton's work...long story short, he wrote the name on a card for me...that I promptly lost. No amount of Google helped cause I went completely blank on it...leave it to someone here!

Many , many thanks
Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 AM

Don,

Those are both great books. While every detail is likely not true, that does not diminish their quality of writing and as stories.

Whenever I am missing the mountains, I will pick up one of Middleton's books and read a few pages. It instantly transports me back home. They make you appreciate the natural world that we are blessed to live in and always seem to diminish the importance of the material comforts that we all treasure so much.

Drew
Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 PM

Default Middleton's Books

Got a copy of "The Earth is Enough" last summer at LRO. Really great reading.

Jack
Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 PM

Default Mr.Don

True to word...just went to a local bookstore and picked up a copy of "Spine"
Read a few pages while in traffic...can't wait to settle in front of the fire with the dog in my lap and begin the adventure.

Turns out that the owner of the bookstore knew him...the store is only a few blocks where Middleton lived...Tragic story of his end... too often people are not appreciated in their own time. I almost feel the need of looking up his grave and leaving a #16 Adams for him.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM

Default Too Short

Plunker,

Yes, his life was too short. We needed more books from his hand. I have spent some time trying to figure out where he lived in Arkansas (from The Earth is Enough) with his grandfather. I even went to the trouble of getting a copy of his obituary. They were careful not to include his grandfathers' hometown. You have to read the aforementioned book to understand this as well as Middleton's trouble with depression - just a little tease.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Default Drew

Hey Drew,

I went to a TU meeting last night. They had a guy from Panama City there talking about Redfish and Tarpon fishing. It really made me think about coming to visit you this spring. Any dates available in June? Send me an e-mail to donw1976@gottaflyfish.com if you have some availability.

Thanks,

Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 PM

don't forget, the return to stairlite creel ,hard copy to come by, i found a copy in the public libary ,great reads all middleton books.
another great read, scott waddle books, travers corner's, and the return to travers corner. very enjoyable.