Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 PM

Unhappy Jumping from the Rocks at the Y

This really has nothing to do with fishing this time, but I happened to be up there the other day on my way from Gatlinburg to Cades Cove and swung by the Y to see how the water was (it's really, really low just like you said, but when you see it...). Anyway, I noticed a sign up on the rocks that jumping and diving was prohibited. As long as I have been going up there, this has been a tradition- jumping and swimming from the rock wall at the Y, my other one is spending a couple of days fishing!!! So, my question is this, did someone have a terrible accident and now it is this a new policy by the Park Service to cover their fannies in case someone ends up really messed up, thus our tradition is over forever? Or, and I hope it's this one, is it due to the low level of the water back in the fall and the sign will come down when we get some more rain. I have always enjoyed swimming and jumping at the Y, and sure would hate to see it taken away. I'm interested to know the story on this. Thanks.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:01 AM

If memory serves I believe someone did drown there last year in June. Every few years there's an accident. I think the sign is a CYA move, but probably good advice. I doubt it will stop anyone, though.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

the rangers are patrolling the Y and issuing citations to those who violate the regs. this change came about due to the dangers involved...both to the jumpers and those jumped on. the fatality in the park last summer was at the sinks and another at abrams falls.
sam

Last edited by sammcdonald; 01-22-2008 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: expand
Old 01-22-2008, 01:24 PM

While I can certainly understand it, I sure will miss it. There is danger involved to be sure, but every time I was there, people helped look out for one another. We always enjoyed being in the show there and watching others put on a show. One time about 6 or 7 years ago, a retired Navy Seal put on one of the best dive shows I've ever seen, and from the highest point. It was just spectacular and beautiful...and FREE. By the time he called it quits, the crowd watching was probably around 200 + people, and everyone applauded and some patted him on the back as he left. I will always remember that and my girls still bring it up occasionally.

Hate to see it end, it was always a fun day.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Exclamation Spinal and head injuries

There have been several injuries at the locations while leaving the mountains this past summer the traffic was held up to evacuate a person injured there.
This situation prompted the park to stop the practice of jumping and diving.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:32 PM

Jumping off that rock has always been a tradition for me but i learned my lesson the first time I broke the new reg. I forgot to hand my $150 sunglasses to my buddy and lost them to the river.