Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-22-2008, 11:53 AM

Default Fishing through the month of may?

Hey everyone!

I was just curious how the fishing is through the month of May in the park. I was told by one of the nice ladies in the shop (I was there in mid-Nov 07') that the last couple weeks of April were great for fishing. Will I be missing out if I go in May?

My GF can't get the time off in April so we're stuck going later. What will water temps be like in the weeks of May? I remember a few years ago we went around that time, but I wasn't fly fishing yet, so I don't remember how cold the water was, or how much the fish were feeding.

Also, what about tourism? is it crazy around May? Any info you can provide, I will greatly appreciate!

Thanks!

P.S. My trip in Nov was great, fall foliage was beautiful! Fishing however wasn't so good. One small bow, and a bunch of lost flies due to those **** orange leaf fish! Not so bad when the scenery is amazing though I was just glad to be there! It snowed the day before I went fishing, and probably had an effect on the fish even though the snow didnt really stick.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:44 PM

May is one of, if not the best month for throwing dries to the trout of the smokies. Early and mid May is not very touristy, but the schools start letting out in late may, more vacationers then. Keep reading the fishing reports everyday for stream temps and the hot flies. Meanwhile do some archive research from last year. Good luck
Old 01-22-2008, 01:48 PM

Default I concur

I agree with Mr. Troutman. May might be the best month of the year for fishing (especially the first three weeks). Once school lets out it gets a bit crazy on the roads in the park (through October), but if you get out early enough in the mornings (usually before 9am) and fish in some of the more secluded areas of the park, you'll be amazed at the solitude. I believe that over 95% of all folks that come to the smokies never venture more than 50ft from the paved roads. Too bad for them...great for the rest of us...
Old 01-22-2008, 05:37 PM

I hit the thickest yellow stonefly hatch I've ever seen this past May. It happened above the institue on treemont in the last 2hours of light. really amazing considering these freestoners dont usually pump out the blanket hatch.

Come to think of it that was the day i quite my job working in a dry ice factory and went fishing as revenge. Needless to say it was the best day of my life.

Last edited by oody3wt; 01-22-2008 at 06:10 PM..
Old 01-22-2008, 11:14 PM

Default Like fishing in a barrel

Let me give my testimony for the month of May. I had my first fly fishing experience after my LRO lesson the first week of May. Went solo every weekend in May (and maybe a couple of times in between) and caught trout every time. If a beginner like me can have that kind of luck, someone with a little experience should be able to slay 'em pretty good.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM

Nice! One of the first 3 weeks of may was what I was aiming for Actually . Hopefully I'll have better luck than I did in Nov...it was pretty **** cold.

I too remember doing some fishing in the park around the end of may a long time ago, and it was pretty good. I've been to the park so many times I sometimes forget when I've been there.

Can't wait for May! Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:52 PM

Just be sure to keep an eye on the weather....early part of May can be a mixed bag...have been running around camp in shorts/t-shirt one day and have it snow the next....so pack accordingly.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 PM

Will do, thanks!

The weather did that when I was there a couple months ago (mid Nov) We drove up from Florida on a Saturday, got to Wears Valley around 5pm and it was about 58 degress (which is very comfortable to me), and I was in shorts and T-shirt. The next morning it was around 64 all day and around 50 at night -beautiful weather!

2 days later it was snowing all day, and ice on the road everywhere. Needless to say, the girlfriend and I were hiking up to Laurel falls when it started snowing, and it got COLD fast! We quickly realized that we were underdressed for the occasion . Still was a beautiful day!

In a full weeks trip we had peak fall foliage, and snow. We were satisfied .