Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 01-24-2008, 09:26 AM

Default recommended gear?

I am planning a 3 night, hike in trip for mid spring. This will be my first camping/fishing trip! I need to be able to pack in - and want to make sure that I'm not overloaded! I currently fish an Orvis 4 piece and don't expect any problems on the hike in. Could any of you pros recommend what gear I should be thinking of? As with anything, I want to make sure I am prepared. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM

Get a list of what you think you need, then cut on half. After about a 25 lay off from back packing, I started back at the age of 44 and soon learned that a 44-47 year old man can not carry a 40 pound pack. I try to keep my packs under 21#s. Some things you need are
1, some way to filter or purify the water.
2, stove, a fire ban can ruin your trip if you don't have a stove. I use a jet boil, cup and stove together so I don't have to bring a cook kit.
3, First aid kit
4, light, I prefer head lamps.
5, tent or hammock
6, sleeping bag
7, RAIN GEAR.
8, I don't use waders, but good wadding sandals or boots.
9, I carry wind walker fishing pack, but tend to leave it at camp and stick a fly box in my pocket and hang tippit and clippers on my shirt.
10, Backcountry permit. I have been checked 3 times and each after the trip with a ranger sitting in the parking area when we came out.
11, I bring my 15yr old son, so I can load his pack down with the stuff I want but don't need. HA HA
12, I do bring bear spray, because my wife makes me. But it is better to be safe.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:16 PM

That looks like a pretty good list. We all have our own things that we like to bring but you covered the essentials. One thing that i would recommend to anyone that is serious about doing any backpacking frequently is a personal locator beacon. I got one for christmas and i'm going to put it to good use. I believe the name brand is SPOT and it was about $140 i think. You also have to pay a subscription fee every year to keep it activated, which is pricey, but it's cheap if you ever need it! With this particular plb, you have three functions: you can hit a button for 911, hit another button that will send a message, text to phone and email to whoever you choose that you need help (along with a link of your exact location using google earth), or hit a button to send a message to let others know that you are ok (also includes a link for your location).

It's a pretty neat gadget. I know it is kinda pricey, but other plb's out there are $500 or more. It is definitely a good thing to have, for nothing else to give yourself and your loved ones a little more peace of mind.

Craig
Old 01-25-2008, 09:57 AM

While most of the backcountry sites now have bear cables to hang your food from the last two time out I have had a big problem with mice...would like to see how they get up the cables, around the protectors, down the line to the packs and find my food....next time out I will bring something that is chew proof....and if you can, bring an extra rod.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:15 AM

WHat do most of you guys bring for food for a weekend trip? This seems to be alot of the weight in the pack.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:13 PM

I like grits in the morning so a couple of packs of instants are good...any of the dehydrated camp meals are good, instant soups, a little trail mix, a couple of energy bars and for a treat....take some foil, a lemon, a couple of those individual butter cups you find in restaurants, salt and pepper...keep a couple of those mountain trout and bake over the fire....
Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 PM

breakfast instant oatmeal. Put the servings in a plastic ziplock plastic bag before you leave. then just add water and eat out of the bagie, then put any other trash you have in the bag and seal up. nothing to clean and an instant trsh bag for small things that won't leak all in you food bag.

lunch, Power bars and trail mix. I am fishing or hiking and don't want to stop to fix a meal. put the wrapers in the breakfast ziplock baggies.

Dinner, any thing I can just a water to. Prepared meals are great but expensive. tuna helper is good, remove from package and put in ziplock freezer bag, if you don't eat it all put left over in bag to carry out. instant soups are good and cheap. Ramie (spelling?) noodles are good and also cheap.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:16 PM

I do breakfast the exact same way as you vern, just put oatmeal in a ziploc bag and use the bag for trash. I usually don't pack anything for lunch other than some protein bars or maybe some trail mix for a snack. For supper, that really just depends. Sometimes i'll do the easy route and just pack in a thing of staggs chili, only thing you have to do is heat it up (it is heavy, however). The other thing that i like to do is my famous chocolate pecan pancakes for supper. They don't look real pretty, but they sure do taste good. I know it's a breakfast food but i don't like cooking real big in the mornings, i'm itching to get out on the stream. I usually mix some protein powder in with the pancake mix, that way you'll get good amounts of protein and carbohydrates to help keep you going the next day.

Craig