Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-28-2008, 08:37 AM

Default Little River Advice

Can anyone give a guy some advice on fishing the Little River this weekend? How about other rivers in the Townsend area?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Default Moved Post

TroutMaster

I moved your post from Tailwaters to Smokies for a better response.

Paula
Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 AM

Ok, thanks for the move. How is the Little River fishing this time of year? Is a trip to Abrams worth it? How about other creeks in the area? I will be fishing this weekend. Thanks!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 PM

Default It Depends

The answer depends largely on two things:
  1. Your skill level. While Jack Gregory was catching 12 trout with mid 30's water temps, I got skunked a couple of days later with temps in the low 40's. But then I'm not Jack.
  2. Whether you are intent on catching fish. I had a great time for about four hours on Middle Prong and got a lot of practice casting with nymphs. And I thoroughly enjoyed just being out on the stream again.
So if you're just a regular old angler who loves fishing whether he's catching or not, I would recommend going ahead. If you're going to be frustrated with not catching, I would, as Byron has suggested before, tie some flies or read a good book. As for me, I would prefer the former given the option.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 AM

Thanks! I assume you are talking Middle Prong of Little River, not Little Pigeon River. How far upstream do you go?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:38 PM

Default Better Late...

TM,

Sorry I missed your question yesterday - busy day. I was indeed referring to Middle Prong of Little River. I parked at the end of the gravel road above the Tremont Institute and hiked up the Middle Prong trail a couple of miles. But just about anywhere above the big cascades is a beautiful fishing stream. It was really tough not to get drawn into the water early because I had determined ahead of time to go farther up. Can't wait to get back to MP in early spring when the weather warms up - there's trout in them thar hills.

bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 02-01-2008, 12:59 PM

Hi Guys,

Right now the Little River is at 4' on the Townsend Gauge and rising. We consider anything over 2.75' as dangerous wading. We had a lot of rain in the Park last night. Mount Leconte got almost 3". According to the Park Service the Little Pigeon is at full force. If you want to fish this weekend you should probably choose a smaller stream such as Laurel Creek or Anthony Creek. Laurel runs along the road to Cades Cove. Anthony Creek can be accessed at the Cades Cove Picnic Area. Highway 411 was closed this morning due to snow and ice. The Park reported sustained winds up to 60 miles per hour and gusts to 90 mph early this morning. Trees are down and the backcountry trails may be blocked by fallen trees. Some other roads may be closed. You might want fish here another time. Sunday might be OK. We'll see.

Troutmaster, I would check the fishing report in the morning and Sunday. What ever you do be careful. There is a lot of water in these rivers right now.

nvr2L8, Good answer. Jack will probably be fishing in the park this weekend. He wouldn't miss an opportunity like this.

Byron
Old 02-01-2008, 01:11 PM

Hey Byron,

Off topic a bit - but daughter #1 was home sick from school the other day when y'all called about her reel - should I just send you a check, or is it a C.O.D. sort of thing? Thanks.

Sounds like now we might have to start worrying about TOO MUCH water
Old 02-01-2008, 01:55 PM

Its been awhile since I've seen the river at 4ft. 2 good things about this is: 1. The river rock channels that were built over the past year by the tubers will be redistributed so the siltation can be hopefully washed out. 2. A lot of the trash and dead limbs will be washed on down the river or up into areas easier for the river cleanup crews this spring to get to.

Can somone get some picts to compare with the drought picts? I would like to see metcalf bottoms from the bridge if possible. Maybe some shots of the Glory Hole too.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Default Yikes!

Had not seen the river depth report in a while - spiked almost 2 feet over a six hour period and over a foot since the fishing report this morning. That's a bunch of water rolling down!

bartonca@hotmail.com