Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-30-2008, 05:05 PM

Default Rod Opinions

Guys (and gals)
Thinking on getting a rod for my son's birthday for an upcoming trip to Yellowstone later in the summer.

The two I'm considering are
Sage Launch 9' 4wt 4 piece
TFO Finnesse 8'9" 4wt 4 piece.

Has anyone cast or fished with both and can compare/contrast?

Other opinions welcome too.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-30-2008, 05:31 PM

You may want to look into something a little bigger then a 4wt. I would at least use a 5wt or a 6wt. It can get rather windy in Montana during the day and it can be kind of a pain throwing flies with a 4wt.
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 01-30-2008, 10:00 PM

Agree with the above post that suggest 5 or 6wt rod. If heavy streamers are to be used, a 7wt is not out of the question for the larger rivers.

If you plan to fly, 4 piece rod are great because you can hand carry them on the airplane and insure they get there and are not broken.

Great place to visit and fish.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:34 PM

Default 5wt

Do think you will appreciate the versatility of a 5wt. I have had a Sage DSL 8ft 5wt since 1991. Probably an early forerunner of the Launch. Still one of my favorite rods. If you can only own one rod an 8ft will cover tailwaters and mtn streams with some limitations. Getting hard to find 8footers. The 5wt gives you enough heft to throw weighted nymphs and buggers. I know TFO is gaining in popularity. I like Sage rods for a casting style like mine that plateaued a few years ago. I would also consider the St. Croix Legend if you think he is serious. Sweet rods. Save the lighter and heavier rods after 10,000 casts with a good all around rod.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 PM

Thanks.
Yes, my son is very serious. I should have given a little more info. He will be 13 in April. He currently has a Cabelal 7'6" 4wt stoway (5 piece) that's pretty soft action and it's overlined with a 5wt line. When he concentrates, he's deadly with it.

I have a nice little 7'6" Sage SLT 3wt, and a 9' Scott G2 5wt and a Redington RS3 7wt.

My boy does pretty well with my Scott G2. He hasn't cast the Sage much and I just got the Redington for Christmas so he hasn't cast it at all.

I do know he seems to do well with the medium to slower action rods.

For his birthday, I wanted to get a really nice rod for him. Something that he will be able to own and fish for a lot of years to come.

My budget won't allow for a $600 rod at this time. I'd like to keep it around $300 or a less but still be a good rod.

Yes, he's a very serious fisherman and worth the investment.

The last time we were on the little river, he outfished me 10 to 4. Little punk

Jeff
Old 01-31-2008, 10:11 PM

I haven't had the chance to cast the TFO Finesse series, but I have spent some time playing around with the TFO Signature ($99) and Professional ($139) series rods. Both rods cast well, but the Signature series rods are all two piece models. Also, rod tubes are not included with either model, which might not be practical for traveling. But, they are priced very well, so you could buy a rod tube separately. TFO also has an excellent warranty on most of their rods.

You might want to consider the Winston Vapor series. Those rods are four piece models, and they come with an aluminum tube. I think they go for about $299. That's not bad, and the cosmetics are better than the TFO rods, in my opinion.

Last edited by Grousegunner; 02-01-2008 at 12:33 PM..
Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 AM

I tend to agree with others about a heavier wt. rod espeically for the yellowstone area. The last time I fished in the area, I was pretty much hitting the Madison and the wind dictated that I pretty much used a 5 or 6 wt. Some days it was the 6wt. only. If he tends to cast the slower action rods, you might want to take a serious look at the St. Criox Avid series. I currently have an 8'6' 5wt. that is an absolute joy to fish with. I find myself amazed at its performance for the price. Very smooth and will handle fish nicely. Good quality and lifetime warranty. Pretty good looking rod to boot. Priced around $220 if I remember correctly. As others have stated, TFO is another great options for the money. That 8'9' 5wt. Finesse is a sweet rod.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Stickbait.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:03 AM

I agree with the other's on a heavier rod, the 5 is probably the best overall, you can over or under line it, that's something to think about.
The Vapor series from Winston is around $300, it fit's the medium action, TFO Pro or Finnesse as already mentioned, the new Cortland Brook series falls in there as well for around $200, it is really worth a look into, the Orvis Clearwater in a mid would be worth looking at as well.
Hopefully, you can taake him & let him shake a few, that always removes a lot of doubt.

Grumpy
Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 PM

Thanks all. I talked with him last night and he's sold on the 5wt idea. The reel is a surprise. I have one coming from LRO (the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor witht he free Orvis line 5wt). When I give him the rod (which he already knows about), I'm going to give him a beat up old reel I have. Then surprise him with the shiny new reel a few minutes later. (hey, I'm a dad and if I can't be a little mean what good is having a kid?).

This is not the first time I've heard St. Croix Avid rods. They seem to have an excellent reputation and the fact they are US made does mean something to me. Not that I have anything against Asian imports, in fact Asia is a very important market for my employer. However, given a choice, I'll try to buy US made products first.

I will have to check them out. I also see LRO sells the St. Croix Avid line which is a definate plus too.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2008, 12:52 AM

I'm glad to hear your son is sold on the 5wt. I think 6 wt is better for that area, but if you show up on some place like the Madison with a 4wt, and it gets windy, you should just go home because you have a useless rod in your hands.

I love TFO Pro series. They are just so well priced for what you get. Even though he likes slow rods, I think youth is the time to introduce him to fast ones. TFO Pros are medium-fast. He'll pick up the new (and in my controversial opinion, better) action of a faster rod so much, well, faster at that age. If you get him that 5wt, 9' rod (SKU: 915797 at LRO), he will be able to fish for just about anything, just about anywhere.

Just throwing my 2 cents on the pile!