Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-02-2008, 11:31 AM

Jeff, even though I mention the avid series in the St. Croix line-up. Don't forget to look at the legend ultra series as well. This is a real sleeper of a rod in my opinion. If I was going to get the five wt. in a nine footer, that is probably the way I would go. Even though it is listed as a fast action rod. IMHO it is more of a medium-fast rod as compared to some to the other fast rods out there. It about $100 dollars more than the avid which keeps it in your price range. I have an old magazine article that was written several yrs ago campairing many 9ft. 5wts. in overall performance as far as casting is concerned. The Legend ultra finished with a ranking of third behind the loomis glx and sage xp. Not bad company to be in considering its half the price. Your son will love the reel you have chosen. My dad picked one up for me at christmas and I've already taken it out for a test drive and was lucky enough to get a nice fish to pull on the drag. Very smooth, good choice.

Stickbait
Old 02-02-2008, 04:49 PM

Default rods

I agree with stickbait. The St. Croix Legend is worth the extra $100. I would describe its casting as smooth with a medium fast action. A friend has one and it is a nice rod under the radar. LRO can fix you up.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:03 PM

If it was me buying the rod for out west i would get either a Sage Launch in a 9' 6wt or a St Croix Legend Ultra in a 9' 6wt. I might also consider a TFO TiCR in a 9' 6wt. Just make sure you bring a back up rod just in case something happens.
"Unless one can enjoy himself fishing with the fly, even when his efforts are unrewarded, he loses much real pleasure. More than half the intense enjoyment of fly-fishing is derived from the beautiful surroundings, the satisfaction felt from being in the open air, the new lease of life secured thereby, and the many, many pleasant recollections of all one has seen, heard and done." - Charles F. Orvis
Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

We haven't decided on the rod yet and hope to get him to try a few. We may be coming to GSMP in May and would try some at LRO then. There's also a fly fishing show hosted by a local FF club here in Cincinnati next month. Typically a few shops are set up there and maybe he can cast a couple there.

While the rod is going to be used in the Yellowstone area this summer, most of our fishing is Eastern. Our home water is Brookville Tailwaters which is by no means a large river. We also fish a few local smallmouth / panfish streams and make it about 3-4 times per year to the Smokies.

This rod is going to be used at Yellowstone, it would not be a wise investment to buy one for a single trip (according to my loving wife).

Yes, we're taking a number of rods there. I have a spare 5 wt to take, I also have a 9' 7wt Redington RS3 to take for really windy days. These are in addition to the 9'5wt Scott that I have and our small stream rods.

The 7'6" 3wt and the 7'6" 4wt will most likely stay at home as I doubt if there will be a lot of places to use a short 3wt. (are they?).

Thanks again. Believe it or not, you guys are helping more than you know.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2008, 12:01 PM

depends, do you figure to float/fish the Yellowstone or Madison or are plans to fish in the park? I used the 7' for a 4wt Superfine in the park and never felt under gunned. Floating the Yellowstone I used my B2x 8'6" for a 5wt weight and got along just fine and it was very windy even for the Yellowstone our guide said. If I was fishing the Madison and the Yellowstone regularly I would want a fast 9' for a 6 or 7 weight but being from back east seems like a major investment to get used once a year either out west or in the Keys. But, the more I think about it....
Old 02-06-2008, 01:07 PM

I would find a Sage SLT 9' 5wt. Since they have been discontinued, you can find them ranging from $300 to 350 for a 2 piece and $350-400 for the 4pc. Why not stretch alittle to get him a premium keepsake, and a rod that will perform well out west and on southeastern tailwaters. An 8'6" rod will even function well on big water but not be "overkill" in length on most mountain streams. The launch is an excellent rod for the money and American made. I personally, would go the extra mile for him and get the SLT...a very handsome rod he could be Proud of...while there are still a few around to be bought! Of course, you could really impress him with a new ZXL and go for broke!

aa
2Timothy2:15
Old 02-06-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
I would find a Sage SLT 9' 5wt. Since they have been discontinued, you can find them ranging from $300 to 350 for a 2 piece and $350-400 for the 4pc. Why not stretch alittle to get him a premium keepsake, and a rod that will perform well out west and on southeastern tailwaters. An 8'6" rod will even function well on big water but not be "overkill" in length on most mountain streams. The launch is an excellent rod for the money and American made. I personally, would go the extra mile for him and get the SLT...a very handsome rod he could be Proud of...while there are still a few around to be bought! Of course, you could really impress him with a new ZXL and go for broke!

aa
I've looked at a couple of the SLT rods. I own one in 7'6" 3wt and it is a sweetheart. If I can find one at a reasonable price between now and spring, I may just jump on it.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Default Clearwater 5 wt

The Clearwater 2-pc 5 wt is a slow rod, I have one. I believe the 4-pc is fater. The TFO Professional Series is a nice rod - I got the 3wt for my nephew. He will love the Mid-Arbor reel, I have one for Steelhead fishing and that drag is the bomb.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:44 AM

You can't go wrong with a TFO. They're great rods - smooth action - and you can't beat an unconditional lifetime warranty. I broke mine through my own negligence and sent it off and they sent me a brand new rod! The price - which is pretty cheap - is worth the warranty alone. Once you buy it, you have it for life.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:58 PM

Default Ditto 'Buck!

TFO Pro....Have two, want at least 3 more. Wish they were a smidge faster, but they are so smooth now I might hate them afterward. The warranty kicks! Accidents happen, but it would take a lot of accidents before you spent as much deductable as you spent up front.

I think I need a Matched set starting with the odd's 3,5,7 then working thru the evens