Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-09-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunker View Post
I think I need a Matched set starting with the odd's 3,5,7 then working thru the evens

I like that thought process, my wife frowns upon it, she has one rod & thinks that's all she needs
If i could get her to fish mountain streams, i'd have another excuse to buy a small stream rod, she'd rather hike & explore while i fish the lil water. If i catch a fish & she's within earshot, i get the strangest looks cause it fit's in my hand, she just don't get it

Grumpy
Old 02-09-2008, 10:00 PM

Default Thanks for the Moral Support Grumpy!

Speaking of wives not understanding FlyFishing Logic...help me come up witha good argument for this....

Have the 3wt PRO...and want a 5wt PRO...the problem exists with the fact that SHE bought the 5wt Orvis "Freaky Flyer" for me, and I cannot think of a way to convince her I need another 5wt...not only am I risking the whole cash flow issue, but now it may come down to "hurting her" feelings that I want another rod besides the Orvis she bought me. As if her thoughtful and rather NICE gift of the Orvis rod was not good enough.

Talk about a minefield...your thoughts?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:08 PM

ugh, sell it, tell her you left it on top of the car & went looking for it, you were mugged & they took it, a bear got it, pour some water on you before you get to the driveway & tell her you took a spill, fortunately the reel fell off & you saved it, walk in with the rod you want & oh no, that guy from Mars that i met must have grabbed my rod by mistake, i'll never be able to locate him.
ugh, i got nothing, good luck

Grumpy
Old 02-10-2008, 01:56 AM

Default Hmmm...

Do I detect a bit of distaste over the Frequent Flyer Mr.Grumpy?

I kinda like it...Strung with a 5wt it's quick, but thanks to Mr. Romer's uplining advice (1/2 wt up) I think it performs admirably...little splashy with midges on short leaders, but it'll turn over 12' fairly well...

Besides, the price was right (less than $100 New!), and it's the thought that counts. It's a lot better than the Daiwa Algonquin it replaced.... of course the Daiwa ended up in a few more pieces than it was designed for after a bout with her little two door convertable...snap crackle pop...she felt so guilty that she went out and bought one that was sure to fit in it Heck...it'll just about fit in the glove compartment.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plunker View Post
Do I detect a bit of distaste over the Frequent Flyer Mr.Grumpy?

I thought we were trying to get a new rod, being the wife would never, ever , never buy me one, occasionally, i have to sell one to get what i want
I bought her about 10 rods a few years ago, neat, highend rods, she didn't like any of them, i kept on buying them though hoping one would suit her, they didn't, so i kept them
One day, i ran across a deal on a sweet 2 piece 6 weight blank to build out & throw some streamers with, while we were floating down the riier one day(rods maiden voyage), she asked if she could try it once i saw the loop, i knew i would never get to fish that rod that was the rod to complete my arsenal of other rods she didn't like, she let's me fish it occasionally when we're out, i'd never try to sneak it out though

Grumpy

Grumpy
Old 02-11-2008, 12:25 PM

Guys,
Just count your blessings that you don't play guitar also. If you do play guitar, you know where I'm coming from.

If you think the looks from the wife are "piercing" when you come home with a new fly rod, try sneaking a new guitar case into the house.

I could have bought 2 Helios rods and had enough left over for a nice TFO and some new line for each of the rods with the last guitar I bought. Unfortunately for me, it wasn't the first high end guitar I bought, but I pretty much was sure it was going to be the last. That was 2 years ago and she hasn't forgotten yet.

So, fly rods are inexpensive by comparison. Go ahead, buy the fly rod. Tell her you will always cherish the one she got for you (which you will) and how special it will always be to you (which it will) and then get one you really want. Just take the Orvis out a few times a year and let her know how much you appreciate her getting if for you and what a nice thing it was. In other words, tell her the truth that you love her and appreciate her.

Jeff
Old 02-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Wise words, Jeff...wise words.

You want a job?

Paula
Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 AM

Default Thanks Jeff!

In the words of American Express....
Don't leave home without it...the Rod or the card.

That's what's so nice about the Freaky Flyer....at 18" it's ALWAYS with me.
Course at 2"X3" the card is too! Never know when I'll have to make a delicate and stealthy presentation over a sales counter to by a new rod